Dolly Parton displays ‘Rockstar’ talent with new album

Parton+makes+her+name+among+the+Rockstars+of+music+with+her+newest+rock-and-roll+album.+
Juliana Conyer
Parton makes her name among the “Rockstars” of music with her newest rock-and-roll album.

On Nov. 17, 2023, country queen Dolly Parton released her 49th studio album “Rockstar,” marking her dazzling debut to the rock community. “Rockstar” is composed of 30 tracks, with some written by Parton and the others being covers. In many of the songs Parton is joined by famous artists from the rock-and-roll world.

With a mix of edgy songs, rock ballads and folk tunes, Parton constructed a rock album catering towards country music fans looking to venture into the genre; however, hard rock enthusiasts may find the compositions too soft and reminiscent of the traditional country music style. On the other hand, long-time rock followers can take comfort in the nostalgic feeling Parton’s cover songs evoke.

Parton’s full, emotional voice with a distinguishable country twang isn’t what one would expect to be on a rock album, but her authentic sound gives her songs variety and adds a new layer to what is deemed “rock.”

Of the songs that Parton composed herself, “World on Fire,” “Either Or” and “Bygones” were the most impactful on the album.

“World on Fire” has a soft, haunting beginning that leads into an established beat. Parton employs a passionate and convincing voice to convey the message of the song–the world is in a troubling state, but people can still come together to save the future.

“Liar, liar the world’s on fire / Watcha gonna do when it all burns down?”

This song was the crowning jewel of the album due to the crucial implications of the lyrics and the compelling music that accompanied it.

“Either Or” is an attitude-packed duet between Parton and Kid Rock who portray a couple experiencing a rough patch in their relationship. Rock has a gravel to his voice that complements Parton’s sassy performance.

“You either stay, or either you go / It’s an either-or situation.”

The prominent electric guitar and distinguished drums creating the music for “Either Or” make the song an embodiment of classic rock music.

The opening of “Bygones” is deceptively similar to an orchestra sound, which eventually bleeds into angry, intense rock music. Parton is accompanied by Rob Halford, who was the lead singer of the group Judas Priest.

“Bygones” has an underlying feel of a 90’s pop song. The piercing chorus as well as the loud, fast background noise brings the song into the rock genre. Parton and Halford give listeners a spirited rendition and a new track to go down in rock-and-roll history.

“Why can’t we just move on? / Let bygones be bygones / But you never will.”

Parton is honored in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, Tennessee. (Maria Conyer)

“Rockstar” also featured many impressive cover songs, the best of which were “Wrecking Ball,” “Stairway to Heaven” and “Heartbreaker.”

“Wrecking Ball” was originally recorded by pop artist Miley Cyrus. Cyrus joins Parton on her reimagined version of the song.

Rather than a techno beat, Parton’s “Wrecking Ball” features solely a piano. In contrast to Cyrus’s original song, Parton simplified the music in “Wrecking Ball” to allow the lyrics and voices to be highlighted. Overall, this change made the track more introspective and meaningful.

“All I wanted was to break your walls / All you ever did was wreck me.”

While “Wrecking Ball” was a musical success, it can be categorized as pop rather than rock which does not fit into the intended genre of the album.

Parton stayed true to Led Zeppelin’s masterful “Stairway to Heaven” in almost every aspect of the song. She did justice to the original by realizing the perfection and artistry it already presented.

“Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow? And did you know / Your stairway lies upon the whispering wind?”

Hip-hop and pop star Lizzo also contributed to the vocals on Parton’s “Stairway to Heaven,” but her presence was subtle and barely audible.

The song has a mystical feel and is a heartfelt, emotional rock ballad. The intentional build of the volume adds complexity to the song, which has a climactic ending. “Stariway to Heaven” was the leading track amongst the covered songs on “Rockstar.”

Parton also covered Pat Benatar’s “Heartbreaker” for this album. Benatar and her husband, Neil Giraldo, are the featured artists on the track. The music and lyrics for Parton’s version match Benatar’s original.

There are only two noticeable differences between the variations: Parton begins her song with a preview of the chorus, while Benatar’s does not. Additionally, in the 1979 “Heartbreaker” Benatar sings with a common 80’s pop style. In her re-done version, Parton adds ferocity to her voice that elevates the song to a rock level.

“You’re a heartbreaker / Dream maker, love taker / Don’t you mess around with me.”

The song on “Rockstar” that fell short was “My Blue Tears.” This song was written by Parton and first released as a country track in 2001. The “Rockstar” rendition features Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran.

“My Blue Tears” too closely resembles a classical country tune to fit on the “Rockstar” album. Its slow pacing, lyrical meaning and prominent folk sound reminds one of Parton’s work in country music.

“Go light your blue sky and I’ll shed my blue tears / For the only one that I have ever loved has gone away.”

That said, as a country track “My Blue Tears” is velvety and beautiful with it’s methodically written lyrics and delicate music. The song just does not belong on “Rockstar.”

As a whole, Parton’s “Rockstar” is a rock-and-roll album like nothing ever heard before. She combines hard rock and country to create a variety of sounds that spread across many genres. Parton uses her echoing voice to infuse feeling into every word, displaying her understanding of music and her ability to put on a show.