Top five mystery book recommendations

October+provides+the+perfect+opportunity+to+catch+up+on+reading+mystery+books.+
Ren Espinoza and Rae Hrubec
October provides the perfect opportunity to catch up on reading mystery books.

Diving into a mystery book is an adventure. The endless twists and turns, they always leave readers wondering what comes next. Here is a list of the top five mystery books to close out the Halloween season.

“The Inheritance Games” by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

“The Inheritance Games” by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a four-part series packed full of intricate puzzles, games and riddles that will leave heads spinning. 17 year old Avery Grambs just wants to make it through high school. Then, she receives a mysterious inheritance from billionaire Tobias Hawthorne she knows nothing about, and her world is turned upside down.

Avery battles with herself, school, the paparazzi determined for a story and the disinherited Hawthorne family, all while trying to figure out why she’s where she is.

“A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson

Holly Jackson’s “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” is a spectacular murder mystery trilogy with new twists every page. Pip’s town is under the shadow of murder. Five years ago, high school senior Andie Bell was murdered by her boyfriend Sal Singh, who then killed himself out of guilt, or so they say.

Pip refuses to believe that Sal, an old friend, was capable of murder, and will go to any lengths to know the truth. The question is, how long until she pulls herself apart?

“And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie

It’s not a mystery book list without any Agatha Christie on it. “And Then There Were None” is a story about ten people mysteriously invited to Soldier Island, with the person who brought them there nowhere to be found. As the guests begin being killed one by one, following the poem “Ten Little Soldiers”, panic spreads through the group as they race to figure out who the murderer among them is.

Will they win the race against time?

“Truly, Devious” by Maureen Johnson

“Truly Devious” by Maureen Johnson is an intricate mystery that leaves readers guessing till the very last page. Ellingham Academy is an elite boarding school in the mountains of Vermont with a century old cold case attached to it. Stevie Bell is a teenage true crime addict determined to solve the mystery.

When Stevie is accepted into the academy, she gains access to more resources than she can imagine, and immerses herself in the case. But when one of her dorm-mates dies, Stevie is dead set on uncovering the truth.

“In the Hall with the Knife” by Diana Peterfreund

The classic game of “Clue” is also an incredible book series. Diana Peterfreund’s “In the Hall with the Knife” is the first installment of of three-part series, filled with favorite characters from the murder mystery game people know and love.

Set at Blackbrook Academy, a boarding school hidden in Maine, a group of students get stranded in along with the headmaster and housekeeper. When the headmaster is found dead, it’s clear that it was intentional. Everyone has secrets–and everyone has a motive.

The only question is, who’s willing to kill for it?