Why “The Sopranos” is the best-written show of all time

The first episode of the final season of “The Sopranos”aired on March 12, 2006.

The pilot of “The Sopranos” was first released on January 10, 1999 on HBO. From the first beat of “Woke Up This Morning (Chosen One Mix)” by Alabama 3, played along to a montage of lead Tony Soprano, played by actor James Gandolfini, you quickly begin to learn of Sopranos identity; a husband, father of two and most importantly, a New Jersey mob boss.

Despite being one of the most notorious Mafiosos of his time, Soprano began to face mental health challenges that distracted him from running his game. The chance of his associates finding out about his personal issues could place risk to his credibility within his businesses, therefore leading him to secretly see a psychiatrist.

While Soprano faces internal conflict, he also handles stress from the criminal activity he participates in. He does this alongside a friend group grown from generations of mobsters, establishing a general set of characters that also have their own plotlines. From facing lengthy jail sentences to nearly being wacked, you really see it all.

The diversity of issues discussed in this show creates something that people hadn’t ever seen on TV before. Lessons learned over the course of the six seasons that were released are different from other sitcoms, as it gives a perspective of a Mobster many haven’t seen before. While watching, I felt I could see a human side to the lifestyle Soprano lives, showcasing Italian culture and family values.

Every episode follows a back-and-forth pattern between different characters, preventing me from losing any interest. I was always waiting anxiously to see what would happen next, as you’re taken through years of drama in and out of the Soprano family.

“The Sopranos” is a masterpiece of TV that effortlessly blends gripping drama, dark humor, and complex characters. With its richly layered storytelling and exploration of morality, family dynamics, and the American Dream, the series captivates audiences from start to finish.

With its impeccable writing, stellar performances, and iconic moments, “The Sopranos” stands as a timeless classic that continues to influence and inspire television today. Whether you’re a fan of crime dramas or simply appreciate great storytelling, “The Sopranos” is an absolute must-watch.