Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

Top 10 London tourist attractions

My+family+posing+for+a+selfie+in+front+of+Big+Ben.+
Steve Dziewinski
My family posing for a selfie in front of Big Ben.

London is a huge tourist attraction in the United Kingdom. There are so many different options to choose from, it can be overwhelming. Well, I have been to London about 20 times and have basically been everywhere. These are my top 10 London attractions I have visited.

#10: Boat Rides

Admiring one of London’s biggest tourist attractions, Big Ben, while on a boat tour. (Kate Dziewinski)

Boat rides are always a pretty sight, but it can get boring. The tours that London provides are located on the “Thames River” which passes many tourist attractions. The rides are normally smooth and lengthy but also usually have a funny tour guide who keeps the rides interesting.

#9: Oxford Street

Shopping in one of the many shops on Oxford Street, Lush. (Kate Dziewinski)

Oxford Street London provides many of the top-notch clothing stores. The street is about 1.2 miles long and has over 300 shops. The street is very lovely to walk up and down on, and great for window shopping.

#8: Westminster Abbey

Taking a tour in Westminster Abbey and observing all the neat architecture. (Kate Dziewinski)

Westminster Abbey is a very  large church in London that provides a location for many royal occasions. It also is the home to 3,300 dead monarchs, as an example Issac Newton and Charles Darwin. The tours provided here are on-your-own, meaning you can stay as long or as little as you would like and walk around the beautiful church.

#7: The London Eye

Taking a quick picture of the London Eye before riding it. (Kate Dziewinski)

The London Eye gives tourists the best views of the entire city. The Eye is 443 feet and has 32 chambers. The Eye is great for kids to go on and see the city of London from another view, but terrible for people who are afraid of heights.

#6: Westfield Mall

Planning on what shops to go to before getting to Westfield mall. (Kate Dziewinski)

Westfield mall has 350 shops, restaurants, cafes and boutiques. Tourists might be overwhelmed by all the options but overall you can spend an entire day there. There is also a subway station next to the mall that has the Circle lines, Hammersmith & City lines and the Central lines so it’s easy to get in and out of the mall and back into London.

#5: Markets

Exploring one of London’s many markets, Covent Garden. (Kate Dziewinski)

London markets are easily the easiest tourist attraction to go to. They are all over the city and very big. The markets provide entertainment with many different street performers, lots of food trucks and shops.

#4: Hyde Park

Taking a quick picture of my family in Hyde park. (Kate Dziewinski)

Hyde Park is a good park to eat your lunch in between attractions. The park is well-kept and located in the heart of London. The park is very popular to the people who live in London but you wouldn’t notice because it’s around 350 acres.

#3: Churchill War Rooms

Waiting in line for the Churchill War Rooms tour. (Kate Dziewinski)

The Churchill War Rooms might be the most interesting tourist attraction there is. The Rooms make everything you have learned about WWII real in your mind. The tours provided there are also on-your-own but they provide you with headphones so you can listen instead of reading.

#2: Buckingham Palace

Strolling through Buckingham Palace while viewing one of their many carriages in the Palace. (Kate Dziewinski)

Buckingham Palace does provide tours, many people do not know that. The tours are lengthy but well worth it. You don’t get to see everything in the Palace but you get to see the beautiful architecture and the horses at the very end which is always exciting.

#1: Tower of London

Walking into the Tower of London and passing a historic catapult. (Kate Dziewinski)

The Tower of London will always be my favorite tourist attraction there. The Tower is a historic castle that they have turned into an “experience-on” museum. The museum is great for kids to have hands-on-learning about England’s history.