A spirit week to remember

Kristin Weidner

The seniors gather for a photo-op after the Spirit Week assembly.

With the return of normalcy at DGS, the students and staff warmly welcome the 2022 spirit week accompanied with an assembly on Friday. Since the start of the pandemic, the guidelines have prohibited the large concentration of students, however, since the February mask optional vote the administration have allowed activities and assemblies to resume as normal.

The week was sponsored by The Athletes Committed to Excellence club (ACE), and they  kicked off the beginning of the week with dress up days. Students were invited to participate in western day, formal day, class day, anything but a backpack day and more.

Senior Afia Acheampong smiling in her Spirit Week merch that reads “Better Together” (Kristin Weidner)

Beyond the opportunities to show off their style, the students were invited to participate in spirit week games. The classes went head to head in competitions during their lunch periods. Senior Jenny Fogarty shared her thoughts on the mini competition hosted in the commons and cafetorium.

“Today my table participated in the Kahoot, and I was excited to be involved in it, plus it raises energy among the different classes and students,” Fogarty said.

The week ended with a Spirit Week assembly that united the school; orchesis, cheer, solo artists and ACE members came together to perform for the students and staff. According to one of the coordinators, Lindsay DeGuilio, in a world returning to normal we are glad to be able to host assemblies in-person again.

Senior Noah Rapinchuk carrying the 2022 spirit jug that symbolizes the victory for the senior class. (Anabella Chlada)

“We were excited to get the green light to have a spirit week this year…so the sponsors sat with the group and the kids were super excited to put this together and Mrs. Martinez helped put a lot of things into it… the students did a great job keeping the energy high and it was an overall great week,” DeGuilio said.