Looking back: a fun ride

Vince Vena

More stories from Vince Vena

Issue 5
May 18, 2018

We all know the typical phrase that has been expressed throughout our life that “high school is the best four years of your life.” As cliche as it sounds, I think it really is true.

Being in high school is the last point in your lifetime where you don’t have any real responsibilities, but at the same time are able to grow as a person.

I don’t like saying that after high school you go into the “real world” because high school is the real world.

At DGS, we have the privilege of being around diverse individuals and having the opportunities to join a wide array of activities.

I have been a part of quite a few different clubs and taking classes that peaked my interest, but also found out that some stuff wasn’t for me. Along the way though, I have made tons of connections with people that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Now, I recognize that high school isn’t always a smooth ride. School gets tough, friends change, activities can be overwhelming, etc.

But what is important is the journey through high school. The good times and bad times all make up your experience and forms the person you are, today.

I know there are going to be points when I’m an adult that I’ll wish I could spend all summer hanging out with friends, standing outside all day for band or going to school with people who I’ve made connections with.

But at least I’ll be able to look back on all the memories and smile.

This article is from a series, “Looking back.”

Find the others here:

Sarah Major

Jayna Bardahl

Matthew Hollendonner

Elizabeth Rose Szpytek