• September 26Choir Concert Oct. 11 from 7-9 p.m.

• September 26DGS Football VS Leyden Oct. 5 from 7:30-9:30 p.m.

• September 26Underclassmen Photos Oct. 5

Looking back: a fun ride

Vince Vena,

More stories from Vince Vena

Issue 5
May 18, 2018

We all know the typical phrase that has been expressed throughout our life that “high school is the best four years of your life.” As cliche as it sounds, I think it really is true.

Being in high school is the last point in your lifetime where you don’t have any real responsibilities, but at the same time are able to grow as a person.

I don’t like saying that after high school you go into the “real world” because high school is the real world.

At DGS, we have the privilege of being around diverse individuals and having the opportunities to join a wide array of activities.

I have been a part of quite a few different clubs and taking classes that peaked my interest, but also found out that some stuff wasn’t for me. Along the way though, I have made tons of connections with people that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Now, I recognize that high school isn’t always a smooth ride. School gets tough, friends change, activities can be overwhelming, etc.

But what is important is the journey through high school. The good times and bad times all make up your experience and forms the person you are, today.

I know there are going to be points when I’m an adult that I’ll wish I could spend all summer hanging out with friends, standing outside all day for band or going to school with people who I’ve made connections with.

But at least I’ll be able to look back on all the memories and smile.

This article is from a series, “Looking back.”

Find the others here:

Sarah Major

Jayna Bardahl

Matthew Hollendonner

Elizabeth Rose Szpytek

About the Contributors
Vince Vena, Copy Editor

Vince Vena is a senior at DGS and a Copy Editor for the Blueprint. He has been a member of the Marching Mustangs for four years. Vince has played Trombone for the past three seasons but for his last season,  he became a member of the DGS Drumline and currently plays Bass Drum.  

Vince avidly follows politics and has been the Vice President of Politics Club for two years. He has been an Election Judge in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election at his precinct’s polling place. He has also been representative for his class’s candidate in the 2016 DGS Mock Election. He plans to study Political Science in the future will be attending the University of Mississippi

Elizabeth Rose Szpytek, Online Opinions Editor

Elizabeth Rose Szpytek (they/them/theirs or she/her/hers) is a senior at Downers Grove South, and—for reasons still unknown—oversees the online opinions section for the Blueprint. Szpytek, a self-described “genderqueer woman,” is passionate about fighting the cissexism, transmisogyny and sexism that is ingrained into our society. She is a youth leader at Transcend, a trans youth group in Naperville. They also participate in their high school’s peer-tutoring program.

Their free time is mostly spent annoying old geezers at stoplights by blasting bad pop punk out her car’s speakers and writing (as well as perpetually editing) short stories. Szpytek tries to alleviate the infinite monotony of suburbia by escaping into film, video games and podcasts. 

They aspire to have a stable career in something although exactly what is unclear. Just not math.