• December 14Winter Play in the Auditorium 7:00-9:00 p.m.

• December 10D99 Bands with Special Guests from Tokyo 7:00 p.m. Dec. 18

• December 10Winter Break Begins Dec. 22

Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Kora Montana

More stories from Kora Montana

Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Joy Yee? If they’re going to try and honestly brand themselves, “joy” should not be in the restaurant’s name.

I don’t mean to sound blunt, but after my many restaurant reviews, I’d like to think of myself as the Blueprint Foodie, and that means providing my readers with real, honest opinions.

Joy Yee Noodle and Pan Cuisine is nestled in a strip mall right off of Ogden Ave in Naperville. I would say my overall experience at this Asian eatery was a dud, but don’t get me wrong, there were some things enjoyed.

When I first entered, I quickly took notice of the aesthetically pleasing color scheme of the restaurant: shiny, white tables with grey and yellow chairs. However, the ceiling and interior walls had unintentionally exposed fixtures, which I never think is a good look at any dining area.

I also thought the layout was not the prettiest I had ever seen as there were small tables scattered unorganized through the main floor, the supply closet was in open view to the customers, and there were another small set of tables around a corner that could not be found easily.

If you enjoy music with your meal, this is definitely not the establishment for you, or for me. I found the atmosphere extremely awkward and uncomfortable, and I felt like my conversations with my dining partners could be overheard by everyone else in the restaurant.

The menu contained primarily dinner options, and I didn’t see anything priced under $10, not including smoothies and lunch specials.

There was an overwhelming amount of different smoothie and milk tea combinations, and they provided pictures of each one in the menu. They also included pictures of every meal option. I’ve never seen this done by a restaurant before, but I actually really appreciated it because it was nice knowing exactly what to expect with my order.

My smoothie choice was honeydew with tapioca pearls, and it came out to $5.25. Tapioca pearls are commonly served with smoothies at Asian restaurants, so I’ve had my share of different kinds from different places. These were one of the better ones I’ve tried as they were strong with flavor, and they didn’t overserve them in the smoothie like some of the ones I’ve had before.

For my meal, I ordered the chicken Pad Thai noodles. Now, I’ve never had this dish before, so I have nothing to base it off of, but what I did know is that I couldn’t get more than three bites down.

My plate came out in just about five minutes which I was really impressed by. But when it was set in front of me, I immediately observed how unappetizing the smell was. It was covered in an orange, sour sauce; I know this is what normal Pad Thai would consist of, but for some reason, it just didn’t sit well with me.

Besides the lunch specials, I think they need to offer smaller sizes of the meal options. My plate of noodles was giant and after eating only a few bites, you could easily say I wasted $10.95. It’s safe to suggest that my dinner ended up being my smoothie.

Joy Yee offered subpar food, an uneasy atmosphere, kind staff and a delicious smoothie. I’d give the restaurant a 5/10, and I will not be returning.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Joy Yee did not bring joy to me”

1. Dylan on April 19th, 2018 8:26 am

Nicley written article, You do well in explaining your reasoning!

2. Jackson Kamedulski on April 19th, 2018 8:31 am

I haven’t been here before, but after that review I definitely don’t want to go. It seems like this place wasn’t meant to serve food in the first place and just wanted to branch out. This was very well written and very descriptive.

3. Veronica Jimenez on April 19th, 2018 8:33 am

Nice article! There’s one similar inside the Fox Valley Mall. I seen this type of drinks and I always wanted to try one.

4. Brianna Leys on April 19th, 2018 11:22 am

I’ve only tried these types of smoothies once before and loved it. I might stop by there (eating lunch beforehand) and maybe try their smoothie!

5. Sam Krupa on April 19th, 2018 11:25 am

This was really well written! I really appreciated how you were completely honest with your review because it helps me to understand the total truth and what I should expect if I were to dine here (which I don’t think I’ll be doing).

6. Cara Luckett on April 19th, 2018 11:25 am

I truly can second this opinion you’ve shared with us here. Having been there as well, I feel as if a smoothie could easily have cost less since it tasted the same as the one’s I’ve tried from Tai San which were only around two dollars. Anyone hoping to visit Joy Yee in the future should definitely read this article first.

7. Nicole Fanella on April 19th, 2018 11:27 am

This is a well written article! I liked the details with the menu and pricing that was described to give me a picture of exactly what it was like. I’ve driven by this restaurant before, and wanted to give it a try, but after reading your review, I definitely won’t be visiting.

8. Lily Skrapka on April 19th, 2018 12:01 pm

This article is very well written and it has all the details the reader should know about the restaurant. I’ve been meaning to try this place and after reading your article and hearing your opinion on, I dont really want to go anymore. Especially because of how pricey it is.

9. AJ Janos on April 19th, 2018 12:04 pm

I think you definitely have some valid points, but I think you should give it a second chance. I’ve been there with my friends multiple times and every time I have enjoyed the food. The sesame chicken, hot and sour soup, and the mongolian beef dishes were all incredible when I had them.

10. Clare McNeeley on April 19th, 2018 12:06 pm

I really enjoyed reading your review! I love trying new places to go and trust others opinions, I do think it’s cool that they show pictures of every meal and drink because I haven’t seen that done before either but wouldn’t be too big of a fan of a quiet awkward place either.

11. Rachel Davis on April 19th, 2018 12:09 pm

I apprecitae how honest you are about your experience at Joy Yee and also all the little details of your trip. It truly makes a difference in the review knowing all the little details. And after reading this article is sounds like “Joy Yee” is not the place to go.

12. Miguel Saucedo on April 19th, 2018 12:10 pm

I’ve only been here for their smoothies which I agree with you 100%, there smoothies are amazing. Never tried their food, but after reading this article about the giant portion that they give you & the upsetting smell of the Pad Thai noodles, I don’t think I would want to.

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

In a studying frenzy? Read some helping horoscopes

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

Kilwins has quite the scoop

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

Top ten Christmas songs

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

Casa Bueno

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Features

DGS captivates the culture

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

Thai Cafe is the gem of Downtown Downers

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

#TBT

TBT: Kevin Senese

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

Horoscopes 12/5: which senior superlative are you?

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

Pierce Tavern: Filled with delicious food and rich history

• Joy Yee did not bring joy to me

Entertainment

Top Ten Tuesday: French Fries

Joy Yee did not bring joy to me