Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

‘Mean Girls’ movie musical adaptation stirs up mixed responses

The+reimagined+Mean+Girls+surprises+viewers+in+positive+and+negative+ways.+
Amara Allen
The reimagined “Mean Girls” surprises viewers in positive and negative ways.

“Mean Girls” (2024) is a creative and modernized spin on an absolute cult classic, inspired by the 2017 musical. Despite the original’s acclaim and popularity, the recent movie-musical adaptation has disappointed many fans.

For starters, many initial viewers were unaware that the film was a musical. The advertisements almost seemed to hide this fact. Depending on the commercial, fans were walking into the theater with completely different expectations.

That is the main fault of the movie. Those who do not enjoy musicals will not appreciate being surprised with one, and by not displaying that aspect in commercials one will not attract those who are fans of musicals.

Despite this, even previous fans of the “Mean Girls” (2017) musical were heavily disappointed by the movie’s performance.

Popular complaints pertain to certain songs of the movie’s soundtrack not living up to Broadway’s. Songs like “Stupid With Love” and “Revenge Party” have been at the center of this criticism, with fans complaining about the lack of theatrics within them.

Another point commonly mentioned is the overdone abundance of “Gen Z” references. Instead of coming off as a modern take on the 2000s classic, it instead reads as a caricature and ridicule of teens today.

This attempt to modernize the original movie yet simultaneously adapt a stage production for the screen resulted in a movie that seemed unsure of itself.

Aside from the movie’s glaring faults, credit must be given where credit is due.

The production was absolutely top-notch. Many of the musical scenes were shot in a stunning set design with camerawork and effects bringing the entire scene together. Scenes like “Someone Gets Hurt” and “Revenge Party” immediately come to mind.

All in all, for a musical theatre fan, this movie is an entertaining watch. It certainly doesn’t compare to “Mamma Mia” or “Hairspray” in regards to movie-musicals, but when just looking for a fun and simple rom-com, this movie is recommended. However, going into the theater expecting a breathtaking revitalization of “Mean Girls” (2004) will most definitely be a disappointing and underwhelming experience.