Romance movies enamor audiences on Valentine’s Day

Romance+films+are+enjoyed+as+Valentines+Day+is+coming.+
Juliana Conyer
Romance films are enjoyed as Valentine’s Day is coming.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, and many people like to indulge themselves in romance movies–from sob-wrenching dramas to giggle-worthy comedies, the romantic genre has something for everyone. Here are the top five movies to binge this day of hearts.

5. “Never Been Kissed”

Released in 1999, this romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore is relatable and heartwarming. Josie Geller is an intelligent journalist who has zero romantic prospects. But when she has to pose as a high school student to write an article, she is about to get the teenage experience she never had.

Josie has to navigate popular mean girls, football jocks and an undeniable attraction to an English teacher. She comes to realize that going undercover isn’t just about writing an article, but about finding herself and maybe getting her much-awaited first kiss.

Second-hand embarrassment is unavoidable in watching this film, but Barrymore accurately portrays the emotional struggle of growing up, allowing every girl to see herself in Josie. When in need of a feel-good and lighthearted romantic comedy, “Never Been Kissed” is the go-to.

4. “Pretty Woman”

A list of romance movies isn’t complete without a film starring Julia Roberts. In “Pretty Woman” she portrays Vivian, a down-on-her-luck stripper who meets a wealthy businessman, Edward, played by Richard Gere. Edward pays Vivian to be his emotional companion, and sparks fly as the two spend more time together.

This is a 90’s classic that will forever go down in romance movie history. Roberts convincingly displays immense amounts of passion, anger, and a free spirit while Gere’s introspective and sophisticated character compliments her. It’s impossible not to fall in love with this duo, and everybody adores a rags to riches story line.

3. “Pride and Prejudice” (2005)

Kiera Knightly takes center stage in this historical drama based on the book by Jane Austen. Elizabeth Bennet is trying to find her place in the world when she enters a battle of wits with the insufferable Mr. Darcy. This movie follows one of the first enemies to lovers plots ever conceived.

“Pride and Prejudice” teaches the importance of not making quick judgments. The film also shows that it is possible to maintain one’s own identity while also finding the love of a lifetime. Fans of period pieces and an immersive emotional experience will be satisfied with this film.

2. “Mystic Pizza”

Julia Roberts appears on this list again for playing Daisy in the 1988 “Mystic Pizza.” Not only does this movie act as one of the greatest romance movies of all time, but it also tops the list of 80’s films.

The story follows three young women working at a pizza restaurant in the small coastal town of Mystic. They have an unforgettable summer struggling through new and old relationships, heartbreak and the burdens and joys of growing up.

This film takes viewers through an emotional roller coaster of hilarious and melancholic scenes. Laughing out loud and crying uncontrollably are permitted and expected. One cannot help but fall in love with these characters and this movie.

1. “10 Things I Hate About You”

This is a romantic comedy that can never be outdone. Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger act as Kat Stratford and Patrick Verona in this movie based on Shakespeare’s “Taming of the Shrew.”

Kat is beautiful but angry at the world, and takes no interest in the guys at her high school. But her younger sister, Bianca, can’t date until Kat does. When one of Bianca’s hopeful admirers pays Patrick to court Kat, the lines between reality and pretend blur.

“10 Things I Hate About You” includes the music, clothes and acting of the 90’s to deliver a masterful retelling of a play old as time. The strong will and fierceness in Kat and Patrick captivates audience members, and the multitude of side-plots keeps everybody entertained.