TV Specials create long-lasting nostolgia

Itzel Sanchez
These characters have left their marks on our pop culture history in so many ways.

Christmas is an important holiday for thousands of people who typically celebrate by giving presents to one another, getting together with family and friends, and overall being appreciative of those we’re with during the holiday season. Although the days of gathering by the fireplace are long behind us now, we have found a more entertaining replacement – the television. One way to bring in the holiday spirit now is by watching classic movies that contain important meanings.

Each of these tales, although intended for children, has morals, plots and production that are enjoyable for all ages, making them unforgettable. These stories have been mainstays in the Christmas culture that we share between generations. Three standouts are “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “A Charlie Brown Christmas” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964): This is a classic childhood stop-motion film that was made in 1964 by Rankin Bass and written in 1939 by Montgomery Ward. Since 1964, the film has been aired annually on television during December. It is about a reindeer named Rudolph who was born with a red, light-up nose and was humiliated by having a different appearance than a normal reindeer.

It wasn’t just Rudolph who was different, but an elf too. His name was Hermey, and he was similar to Rudolph in that they both contributed to helping people. The message behind the story teaches kids that everyone is different in their own ways.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966): Many know the live-action movie made in 2000. The 2000 version was the influence of its peak. Originally, it was written in 1957 by Theodore Seuss Geisel, well known as Dr. Seuss, whose story turned into a famous film.

A classic story, the movie takes place with the Grinch who despises Christmas because of his past since he’s different from everyone else in Whoville. The Grinch plans to ruin the holiday because he is hurt. Over time, he goes through a transformation – one of the powerful symbols of the movie.

The Grinch shows his new holiday spirit and realizes that hate doesn’t always win, teaching viewers the need to be appreciative of others. One of the main reasons this movie has lasted is that it is a very good adaptation of the book.

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965): This movie was made in 1957 by Charles Monroe Schulz and is part of the well-known “The Peanuts” series. It was originally shown and funded by CBS.

“The Peanuts” Christmas special has the best messaging out of these three. It demonstrates the belief Schulz had around the very capitalist nature of Christmas but demonstrates that these kids can get past this and have a nice, simple Christmas together. It shows the moral of Christmas being about the people.