Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

Grove Express 5K unites community

The+race+starts+on+Main+Street+in+Downtown+Downers+Grove+and+ends+on+Curtiss+Street.+
Caitlin Spindler
The race starts on Main Street in Downtown Downers Grove and ends on Curtiss Street.

The Downers Grove community had the chance to participate in the annual Grove Express 5K on Thanksgiving morning. The race takes place all throughout Downtown Downers Grove starting on Main Street and ending with the finish line on Curtiss Street. This year there were over 7,000 community members in attendance, which is a major jump from the reported 5,000 last year.

The race started promptly at 8:30 a.m. with some runners finishing as soon as 15 minutes later. While many did choose to run, others opted to walk the race with family and friends. DGS Junior Arabel Thurston participated in the race this year.

“I usually would run it but because of an injury in my shins last year I walked it with my family and this year walked it with my best friend. I really enjoyed it because I got to see a lot of people I knew, as well as get a nice walk around downtown before a Thanksgiving meal,” Thurston said.

The Grove Express has been taking place since 2021 when it replaced the Bonfield Express. The Grove Express was established by The Education Foundation of District 58, Roadrunners Soccer Club and the Downers Grove Rotary club. This year’s president of the Rotary Club is Henry McCabe who attended the race himself as well as helped in the preparation for it.

“As this year’s Rotary Club of Downers Grove president, I’ve coordinated the preparation of the club’s promotional literature for the runners and walkers complimentary Goody Bags… personally, I’ll volunteer on Race Day to enthusiastically encourage the runners and greet the walkers. I’ll also be helping out many other Downers Grove Rotarians and their families on the racecourse at the Bacon Station in front of club member Dr. Barbara Webster’s home on Carpenter Street. We volunteer to help pass out bacon strips to the runners and walkers participating in the race,” McCabe said.

As many Downers Grove residents know, every year bacon is handed out as you get to the final leg of the race. Along with that being a fun part of the race, many people also choose to dress up in funny costumes. DGS senior Kaylie McDaniel and her friends all dressed up for the race this year.

Kaylie Mcdaniel and her friends pose before the start of the race. (Caitlin Spindler )

“I wore ‘ChicknLeg’ shorts, which are super fun shorts for runners to wear and two of my friends wore the inflatables you’d see out at a car wash,” McDaniel said.

This race unites Downers Grove as a whole – even with the rivalry between DGS and DGN to see who is the most spirited. For race results and pictures, go to the Grove Express website for up to date information.