Disney+ fails to understand the time management of the average viewer

Sumit Shah
Disney+ is available on most mobile devices, allowing you to bring movies & TV of your choice almost anywhere.

We all know that the only and best way to end a show is to make the flashiest fight scene you’ve ever seen. Usually lacking consistency with the rest of the in-universe lore, this scene ends with the hero winning triumphantly, ignoring the civilization they’ve left behind them in ruins. Obviously.

Disney+ made its debut in the streaming world on Nov. 12, 2019. It brought us our new favorite Star Wars duo, “The Mandalorian” and “The Child.

With almost all famous Disney projects on this new streaming service, millions flocked to see what Disney had in store for us, starting with “The Mandalorian.” A few months later, the final season of the long-running Star Wars show “The Clone Wars” debuted on Disney+, bringing closure to all the fans following the show since 2008.

Disney+ stood out in all its glittery-blue glory. With “The Mandalorian” renewed for another season, movies exclusively released to Disney+ during the pandemic and Marvel joining the TV show line-up with “WandaVision,” it seemed like a no-brainer to subscribe.

Somewhere along the line, a change happened. An evil, dark and twisted change. Show plotlines began leaching into movies.

“Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness” was the first to make this jump. Without any context of the show “WandaVision,” fans seemed to lose track of Wanda Maximoff’s motives as a villain in this movie.

Last time she was in theaters in a movie, we had seen her mourning over Natasha Romanoff. Now she’s a multi-dimensional witch willingly to kill innocent people?

Marvel’s already done this whole thing before, having multiple movies build off each other.  A three-movie trilogy would be about six to seven hours max. On the other hand, having to watch an entire show would add almost  five hours just to get context on a two-hour movie.

I’ve seen die-hard Marvel fans miss one movie after another because there’s just too much to catch up on. Marvel has shown no signs of dropping this method either, with the release of “The Marvels” soon to be on Nov. 10, 2023 following the events of the show “Ms. Marvel” and “Captain America: Brave New World” following the events of “Falcon & The Winter Soldier.”

We can only hope that Star Wars stays away from this path, only having made spin-off shows for its beloved characters such as Boba Fett, Ahsoka and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Time will tell what Disney decides to do with its TV shows, but until then, we’re stuck with shows like “Agatha: Darkhold Diaries,” which has changed its name three times since being announced.