DGS hosts Young Hearts for Life

DGS+hosts+Young+Hearts+for+Life+an+organization+that+provides+free+ECG+screening+for+students.+
Caitlin Spindler
DGS hosts Young Hearts for Life an organization that provides free ECG screening for students.

On Sept. 12, 2023, Young Hearts for Life, an organization that provides free ECGs to students, will be returning to DGS. All students at DGS have the opportunity to participate in this during their physical education periods.

Young Hearts for Life was formed back in 2006 by Dr. Joseph Marek and the program has screened over 280,000 students in the time it has been operational. Young Hearts for Life is screening students at several schools and has been at DGS for several years now. P.E. Department Chair Scott Lange plays a key role in the program at DGS.

“We have been running this program ever since I’ve been here, and this is my 15th year teaching here. We on average catch the abnormality in three to six students per year and potentially save their lives,” Lange said.

Staff at DGS recognize the importance of this procedure, as well as the student body at DGS. Senior Liz Laverty got an ECG done her sophomore year and is getting the test done again this year.

“It’s really important for me to know if I have any underlying issues going on with my heart, and I want those to be found sooner than later. It is super beneficial to your health,” Laverty said.

The actual ECG procedure is very simple and takes less than 30 seconds. ECGs record the electrical signals coming from your heart, which can show if a person has any heart problems.

“Basically they stick little electrodes, little stickies, around seven or eight of them around your body. It’s like a 30 second test, they take them off, and you’re done,” Lange said.

Radiologists will read the reports from the ECG and DGS students will know by the end of the day if their heart is healthy or not. If something comes up abnormal on the test, students may need further testing.

Remember to sign up to get your free ECG test through Young Hearts for Life on Sept. 12 if you haven’t already done so.