DGS ties Pass a Smile into Respect Week

Nora Joy

Throughout Respect Week, students will be passing out smiley face pins to promote respecting others and their opinions.

With The World Runs on Respect Week coincidentally falling on the same week as District 99’s first week of mask optional, DGS faculty and staff are trying to keep the message of respect the focus for all students. One way DGS plans to do this is by radiating positivity through “Pass a Smile” which will take place Feb. 28 – March 3. The goal of this activity is to let all students at DGS know that there is always a reason to smile.

Student Activities Director Jennifer Martinez described how Pass a Smile is being incorporated into how DGS is celebrating Respect Week.

“Pass a Smile is one of the activities during Respect Week that has been incorporated as a fun and simple way to spread kindness, promote respect and demonstrate great care for one another through our actions. We hope that the little smiley face button brings joy to both those that receive and give away smiles,” Martinez said.

Additionally, as the district moves to mask optional this week, Martinez detailed why participating in Pass a Smile is important.

“As we transition into masks respectfully recommended, this is a perfect time to show extra care and kindness to others and to demonstrate that we respect each other’s differences and personal choices. One way to show that respect is by participating in Pass a Smile,” Martinez said.

Martinez encourages students and staff to place their smiles somewhere visible such as on their shirt or backpack once they have received them. Martinez described how students and staff can participate in Pass a Smile.

“Some students and staff have received smiles to give away to people they know and don’t know on campus. Once a student receives a smiley face, the receiver may choose to keep the smile or pay it forward to someone else in need of a smile,” Martinez said.

“Additionally, students and staff alike can visit the Unified table during lunches that will be located in the commons. People that visit the tables can pick up some smiley faces to give away throughout the week.” Martinez said.

Freshman Juliana Conyer shared why she thinks Pass a Smile shows respect to other students at DGS.

“When I see people wearing the Pass a Smile I think it shows respect because somebody else was able to validate somebody’s personality or their appearance and that makes people feel really good inside. It’s essentially giving them a compliment without verbally having to say anything so for some people who are maybe not as good with words, it’s a really good way for them to do their part and show a lot of respect,” Conyer said.

Senior Audrey Sickel echoed Conyer’s points, sharing how she sees happiness being spread due to Pass a Smile.

“When I see people wearing the pins I think it’s just passing on happiness and a lot of people around me are going to be happier because you’re passing on the happiness that people around them are giving off,” Sickel said.