DGS welcomes new PE teacher

Allison Scherquist

Madisen Babich joins the DGS Physical Education and Athletic Departments this year.

This year Downers Grove South welcomes a new teacher. Madisen Babich is starting her first year at DGS as a physical education teacher and head volleyball coach.

Q: Is this your first year coaching volleyball?

A: No, it’s my sixth year as a high school coach. However, it’s my first year as head coach.

Q: Is there anything you’re especially excited about this season?

A: I’m excited for this new culture of DGS. I’m ready to get to know all my students.

Q: Is there anything in particular you hope these girls take away from your coaching?

A: Yes, definitely. I hope they come out as better people. Regardless of how this season goes, I hope these girls are learning from their experience here. That’s something I want them to take away with them even after they graduate.

Q: What are some things you want to take away from your time at South?

A: I never want to stop learning; I always want to keep taking advice from my mentors here. That means a lot to me.

Q: What’s a common misconception that you’ve heard about yourself?

A: I never want people to think I have an ego. I definitely don’t think I’m better than any of my colleagues. I would just like to be seen as an equal.

Q: What do you want the students here at South to know about you?

A: One thing that is really important to me is that the students here see me as a teacher first. As much as I value being a coach, I hope I’m someone that students can trust.