• November 9Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee Meeting Nov. 15 from 7:30-8:30 p.m.

• November 9Vision and Hearing Screening Nov. 15 from 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

• November 9Jazz Concert Nov. 13 from 7-9 p.m.

Kai Sushi: I don’t like the way you roll

Natalia Ruiz

More stories from Natalia Ruiz

Horoscopes 10/17
October 17, 2018

Sitting in a circle of colorful, chaotic sushi rolls rotating around you may seem like a dream that some may want; however, this can be found at Kai Sushi.

Kai Sushi is a rotary restaurant located on Highland Ave E in Lombard, IL. It is tucked away in a corner of a big strip plaza.

As soon as we walked into the restaurant, my guest and I were greeted by two very friendly and welcoming staff members at the front counter. We were then seated by our waiter that was very attentive at first, but soon showed her dislike towards us, giving us short answers and was very impatient.

The restaurant was simply decorated, but very homey and aesthetically pleasing. The color scheme between the bright green colored booths and white walls with the wood tables. There were only a couple of pictures on the wall. There was one with sushi on it and another with a Japanese phrase on it.

At first, our waiter was helpful and gave us a lot of options, but as our meal went on she seemed to grow annoyed and displeased with us. She gave short answers and didn’t stop as much at our table to check in as she did at everyone else´s. However, another waiter did stop occasionally and help us.

I am a big sushi person, but I am also very picky. My guest and I had different opinions on how the food tasted.

One of my favorite sushi rolls was the Happy Mango, it included: crab meat, avocado, cucumber and topped with mango and mango sauce on top. This roll had the perfect balance in all aspects. The slightly salty crab meat, mute avocado and tangy citrus mango complemented each other well.

Another type of sushi roll that we tried was called the Snow Flake Maki, it included: shrimp tempura, avocado, cucumber, crab meat, mayo, tempura and ¨snowflakes¨. This roll was one of my least favorites all of the ingredients mixed together and nothing stood out. The mayo tasted bland and flavorless.

Going outside of my comfort zone I tried a sushi roll called Fiesta Roll.The ingredients consisted of: spicy crab, avocado, topped with crab, eel sauce, spicy mayo and fried onion. I was definitely scared of what the eel sauce was going taste like, but I was proved wrong in the end. There was definitely a fiesta going on in my mouth when I tasted it, the spicy mayo gave the roll a nice kick and I could barely taste the eel sauce.

The price of the food varies. Different types of colored plates cost different amounts of money. You are also able to order from the regular menu. Our bill came out to be $25. The food also never took longer than 10 minutes.

Based on the unfriendliness of our waiter and the lack of options that I was looking for, I rate this restaurant a 6/10. I most likely will not be returning back.