Spirit ‘weak’

Lindsay Valero

More stories from Lindsay Valero

May 18, 2018
May 18, 2018
Issue 5
May 18, 2018
Spirit+weak

Spirit week is upon us and it’s a special time in which we’re meant to celebrate the pride and joy we have for our high school, DGS; however, this year, we have nothing to celebrate.

To simply put it, the students of DGS don’t have spirit.

In years past, spirit week has included fun dress-up days like hawaiian, country club, and crazy hair day. Yet, this year, our school has chosen very boring, very easy and very lame dress up days.

Our dress up themes are PJ day, winter wonderland, white out and USA. These themes make it as easy as someone wearing the common Converse to be considered as “spirited.”

When did it become lame to dress up for spirit days and show off our pride? Why not show some school spirit? What do you have to lose?

I just wish it was socially acceptable to wear my snowman suit to school, ugh.

To add, who made it socially unacceptable to be a part of the spirit week assembly games? Besides the annual game of tug-of-war, sign-up for other games has become unfavorable by the majority of students. I’ve always heard of people wanting to be a part of the assembly. Now, what? We’re suddenly “too cool” for that?

This year’s assembly will feature games such as Hungry Hungry Hippos, class sing, the big pants race, half-court shot, etc.

If it were me, I would not be afraid of belting out the lines to an old 2000s pop-jam. I would not be scared to fall in front of the entire school. I would not be afraid of completely airballing on the half-court shot.

Spirit week and the assembly are meant to be relaxing and inviting times for all students and staff members to enjoy themselves and have a good laugh. Let’s stop creating a weird, uninviting atmosphere during one the greatest weeks of high school.

My point is, it shouldn’t be considered weird to extravagantly dress up during spirit week and people should be excited about the spirit week assembly.

It’s time for the entire student body to step up their game. Don’t think you’re too cool for school and have some pride in DGS. This school is what the students make it, and right now, well, it can be better.