• February 22Class Color Day Feb. 23

• February 21USA Day Feb. 22

• February 20DGS Winter Dance Feb. 24

Babies make me cry

Matthew Hollendonner

More stories from Matthew Hollendonner

Superstition superpower
January 30, 2018

Some people have panic attacks when they hear fireworks. Some people get goosebumps when they feel like they’re being watched. But me? I am inexplicably scared of babies.

Each of these falls under a phobia, despite one being more normal than the other, and they are real issues that a majority of us face regardless of whether or not they are as normal as hating heights. I am terrified of heights, sharp objects, bridges and babies. I know what you’re thinking: how can someone be scared of bridges?

The thing about having a phobia is you don’t know where it came from or how to get rid of it; they kind of stick to you like a ready-to-remove bandage. They kind of just find a way into your life like a more common fear of spiders or a less common one of babies. I think we can all agree babies are terrifying, right?

With a phobia, a person does not react rationally to something that may seem very routine to another person. It’s not fair to judge that person because of the way they see something. Everyone has that one thing that gives them the creeps.

Some people have way more than others, and that’s fine because they most likely experienced something in their life to give that to them. With a fear comes a third party that tries to convince you that it’s not actually that scary, when in reality they have no idea what they’re talking about.

I have been on the receiving end of the phobia judgement, and it’s not fun. At some point, people need to learn to stop pushing and just come to the conclusion that someone can’t or won’t do something.

Unfortunately, this happens because of the lack of understanding of the differences between being nervous and having a phobia. A lot of people get that mixed up and, unfortunately, expect people to just get over their fears and to buck it out when it’s not that simple. The way to “get over” your phobias isn’t an easy street to take. You may need to confront it, receive therapy or go as far as seeing a doctor, none of which we want or look forward to.

This is an easy fix. Just do us all a favor and don’t push us to do things that we are scared of, because in some cases you might just be making their situation much worse. No matter the size of the issue, small or big, ridiculous or normal, just keep it to yourself.