• May 7AP testing May 7--May 18

• May 7DGS Senior Awards Night 7 p.m. May 8

• April 23Prom at Bolingbrook Country Club April 28

Dear seniors…

Marc Alvarez

More stories from Marc Alvarez

Issue 5
May 18, 2018

Dear class of 2018,

It’s time to stop. Quick disclaimer: This article is not intended as an attack on anyone in particular, but if you think that what I’m saying may apply to you then you should take some time to think about your decisions.  

Alright so let’s get into what’s wrong, why it’s wrong and how each of us can make a positive change for yourself and the rest of the school.

First off, college. I get that it’s a big deal. Going off to college is one of the craziest decisions and things that we do as students, and I’m not saying to not talk about it. However, I don’t need to know every school you apply to, every letter you get in the mail and all the schools you get in to. Everyone gets a ton of emails and has a nice big pile of letters, flyers and brochures from every college imaginable.

Also, it gets repetitive scrolling through endless pictures on Instagram, opening countless Snapchat stories and reading passive-aggressive tweets about your personal college journey. So try to keep it to the really good stuff.

My next complaint: the t-shirts. The first few were good. The Lollapalooza shirts were a nice addition to the traditional navy and Columbia senior shirts. But the senior Facebook group seems to be littered with half-finished ideas. This has seemed to slow down in the past months so good job to everyone.

With the start of the second semester, we should also address the elephant in the room: senioritis. Yes, everyone’s grades might slide a little bit in second semester. But, it’s the first week after break and I’ve already heard quite a few people self-diagnose themselves with senioritis. So, I’m not saying to devote all your time to studying, but at least put in a little effort in class.

Finally, let’s talk ditch days. We do not need a ditch day every single month. If you really don’t want to come to school, call in sick. The Monday after prom is really the only day that makes sense to take off, so ditch then.

With all the complaints out of the way, let’s get to what seniors should be doing. Too often people look back and think about what they wish they had done. But with the last semester of high school now beginning, go out and do the things you want to do. Take risks—within reason—since we only have a few months left together. If there is something you want to experience, go out and do it.

Also get spirited. Go to basketball and other sports’ games, go to school plays, take advantage of all our school has to offer because when high school ends, it ends. High school is almost over, but there’s still a semester to make the end of your time at DGS everything you’ve ever wanted it to be.