Why everyone should take the AP test

More stories from Lauren Smith

It is no secret that AP classes are often a primary source of stress, pressure and anxiety for high school students. The workload is heavier, the expectations are higher and the course material is often significantly more challenging, pushing students to their limits and forcing them to sacrifice their time and sanity in an attempt to pass.

So why in the world would you want to go through all of that and not take the AP test?

I understand that many students just see AP’s as an opportunity to prepare themselves for college life, but why stop there? The material covered in such courses will not only prepare you for future college classes, but could exempt you from one or more classes that you would otherwise be forced to take your freshman year.

The main concern is money. However, while AP tests have become more expensive over the years, the price does not even compare to the money you could save on college tuition. For example, at UW-Madison, where I will be attending, on average, just one credit ends up costing around $1,385, while I could test out of up to nine credits just by taking a single AP test for $90.

Do the math. Students could end up saving around $12,375 just by taking a 90 minute test. That’s the best paying gig you’re ever gonna get.

Not to mention, testing out of certain classes can significantly cut down on your time spent in college. By the end of my senior year, I will have taken seven AP tests and tested out of somewhere between 14 and 20 credit hours– that could easily cover more than my entire first semester of college.

By putting in the money and time to take AP tests while in high school, you could end up saving significantly more money and time later on when taking on college life.

Many students also shy away from taking the AP test because they assume they have no chance of scoring well on it anyway. That is false. There are kids all over the states planning to take this test without any class or prep work who you will be curved against. No matter how unintelligent you may think you are, there will always be those who are worse off, and every bad score will boost your own.

I’m not going to lie. I’m pretty sure I got around a 65% on an AP test last year and scored a five. That curve is a gift. Don’t sell yourself short– you are probably better off than you think.

Do not subject yourself to the struggle and stress of AP classes if you are not going to reap the benefits. Just a couple months of committed studying could provide you with endless opportunities– take advantage of the education you are offered here at South and better prepare yourself for the future.