‘Dune: Part Two’ takes the world by storm

Dune%3A+Part+Two+was+released+on+March+1+and+has+since+had+much+success+at+the+box+office.+
Gretchen Haselhorst
“Dune: Part Two” was released on March 1 and has since had much success at the box office.

On March 1, the highly anticipated “Dune Part 2” rode into theaters. The movie is directed by Denis Villeneuve and stars many big names including Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Florence Pugh, Austin Butler and many more. The film is currently at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and has grossed $182.5 million globally on opening weekend alone.

The film is a continuation of “Dune Part 1” which is based on the classic sci-fi novel “Dune” by Frank Herbert that was released in 1965. The first part was a major hit when it came out in 2021, so it was no surprise that part two had a stellar opening weekend performance.

“Dune Part 2” follows Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) and his descent into power through being prophesied as the Lisan Al Gaib, the savior who will bring Arrakis into the green paradise it once was, while keeping the love of his life, Chani.

The film had started breaking records before it was even released. It debuted on iMDb with a 9.4/10, the highest rated film on the site of all time. The film also currently sits at a 4.6/5 on letterboxd. During premiere and press events, everyone left saying that this movie is a future Oscar winner, with performances by the main cast that left everyone stunned.

Chalamet has left everyone impressed with his performance of Paul Atreides. He takes this once innocent character and turns him into a power hungry leader whose decisions ultimately revolve around his own personal wants. Chalamet gives the performance of a lifetime in the third act of this film, his mere presence on screen conveys so much to the audience with the way he walks or how he holds himself.

Starring opposite him is Zendaya, who gives an emotionally compelling performance. The internal struggle of sticking to her beliefs or following Paul is one Zendaya captures perfectly. With one single twitch of her eye or a slight frown, she communicates exactly what Chani is feeling.

Other standout performances are given by Rebecca Ferguson and Butler. Ferguson, who plays Lady Jessica, a Bene Gesserit who takes on the role of Reverend Mother to help her son fulfill the prophecy she believes he was born for. Butler plays Feyd Rautha, a psychotic killer who is another prospect for the Lisan Al Gaib.

The overarching story is very well written with interesting plot points and consistent pacing that stays true to the source material. On top of that, the visuals are stunning and add to the overall experience of the film. To contrast the views, Hans Zimmer composed a moving score to encapsulate the feelings of the characters.

Overall, Dune is a wonderfully done movie that takes you through a compelling story in a beautifully intricate world. It is very apparent that the whole cast and crew put lots of love and effort into making this film what it is, giving it a legacy that will last generations.