Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

Christmas ‘presents’ bad specials

Melo Medina
While the holiday season has brought so many classics to the big screen, it has also brought some terrible films.

Christmas movies hold an emotional importance for everyone that grew up watching them, but then there’s the not-so-enjoy-able movies that everyone wants to throw in the trash and never talk about. These movies made it past multiple editors, writers, test audiences and, to my dismay, were released.

At the very bottom of the list is “The Polar Express” (2004). I’ve only watched this movie a total of one time, and that was enough for me. It’s a cute story, cute concept, but the animation is the definition of uncanny valley, especially the little girl. The only slightly bear-able looking character is the conductor and that’s just because of his bushy, luscious mustache.

“The Grinch” (2018) film has to be on my top list of burn forever. “The Grinch” is simply a movie that shouldn’t be touched, not with a nine-and-a-half foot pole. The animation was decent, but it just didn’t give what it thought it gave plot-wise.

Hallmark movies are the plague of society and should be eliminated. Throughout my whole life, I think I have watched a million Hallmark Christmas movies, but it’s hard to keep track considering they are all the same plot but the main girl has either blonde or brown hair. Hallmark is what the movie industry would be if the writers’ strike never ended.

Don’t even get me started on “Jack Frost” (1998).Yes, it is a tragic story, but did he really have to look so off-putting? If Polar Express was uncanny valley, Jack Frost is straight up a horror movie; it makes me shiver whenever I look at the poster.

And last but not least, the entirety of “The Santa Clause” (1994-2006) movie series. One was more than enough, man kills Santa and then becomes Santa, great plot, horrible execution, but the foray into madness does not end there. In the second movie, the new Santa’s son ends up on the naughty list, and he must marry before Christmas or stop being Santa forever. In the third movie, Jack Frost plots to take over the North Pole and freezes Santa’s in-laws. Also the posters are absolutely horrifying. The only good thing that came out of that movie was the emo elf played by David Krumholtz–he carried the entire movie.

So please do yourself a favor and avoid these movies this holiday season, watch “Eight Crazy Nights” or “The Search for Santa Paws.” If you want to suffer or if bad movies are your thing, go right ahead.