Key Club uses Giving Tree to give back this holiday season

Lauren Miranda, Features Editor

On Saturday, Dec. 10, the DGS Key Club will climb aboard a frost-covered minibus and head to Carol Stream to give back to the community. From 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m the club will be collaborating with an organization called Humanitarian Service Project (HSP) to help distribute food and gifts to families in need. Key Club has been participating in this event for over 20 years.

To obtain the gifts and food they are distributing, organizations collect donations and give them to HSP. The social services organization then allows people to apply for support and selects the people and families who will receive the donations.

This year, Key Club will collect at least 100 $25 gift cards from Walmart or Target and new, unwrapped toys. They will then donate all collected items to HSP so they can decide who receives them.

By participating in this event, Key Club sponsor Amy Klug is looking forward to spreading the holiday joy throughout DGS.

“It is great to see so many students and staff members giving to those in need, even though they will never know exactly who the recipients are. We get to make the holidays brighter for those in need, and it makes the entire holiday season more meaningful and enjoyable to spread some holiday cheer,” Klug said.

Key Club member and junior Maeve Galvan feels similarly to Klug, and she is excited to give back to her community.

“I am really looking forward to helping the people in need and feeling that comforting sensation [that] helping others creates. That is what the holiday season is all about,” Galvan said.