Mustang Way lessons are now during access periods

More stories from Madelyn Sumlin

Keeping in touch
March 1, 2023

Madelyn Sumlin

Students are asked to fill out a Google Form regarding the Mustang Way lesson in their access period about plagiarism.

Mustang Way lessons have returned once again for the 2022-2023 school year. With the newly established block schedule comes a new source of time for Mustang Way instruction, this time during students’ access period.

Internal coach for Mustang Way and special services teacher Dale Pacourek explains the new way in which Mustang Way lessons have returned.

“We have actually had them ongoing probably since the inception of the program, but they are definitely coming back in a different capacity, they are going to be held during the access period now along with other programming that happens during that time,” Pacourek said.

Internal Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) coach and special services teacher Jamie Trent described how DGS students have had two Mustang Way lessons presented to them already this year. One was about being respectful of our building as well as how to use the large spaces, and the second lesson was about plagiarism. During access periods, Mustang Way lessons aren’t the only presentations; there are also lessons from different programs in our building.

“Access is a time that is used to present lessons from different areas and programs in the building, so we are one of those programs that use some of those slots,” Trent said.

Senior Hanna Rodeck explained the environment of her classroom.

“Most of the students are respectful and watch the videos, some are on their phones, but no one is too loud or distracting,” Rodeck said.

Rodeck and senior Colin McLaughlin agree that the lessons have become repetitive for them throughout their four years as a Mustang. McLaughlin feels that access time should be used differently, and that the instruction should be different.

“I would change them, well I would get rid of them, but if I couldn’t get rid of them I would, I don’t know, make less of them. Give access time to the students, and I would make them shorter. I think we just need less instruction and less being talked to, for all that, especially because it’s all kind of repeats; they’ve said this stuff for years,” McLaughlin said.

However, Trent believes these lessons are important and hopes that these lessons stick with the students as they journey through high school.

“We value all the lessons that are being shared with the students and want the students to be respectful of the message, and then we hope that they carry the message on in their school day,” Trent said.