Varsity boys volleyball sets the tone for competition

Nick Koch

The DGS varsity boys volleyball team has won conference for the past 11 years in a row and haven’t lost a home game since 2019.

Claire Valenti, Sports Editor

The DGS varsity boys volleyball team is highly ranked across the board in different preseason predictions for the upcoming season. When the season begins, the Mustangs plan to live up to and exceed the expectations placed on them.

“One of the sources was Illinois prep vb, which is [made] by a guy named Phil Brozynski who does a great job covering boys volleyball and girls volleyball, so I did see that ranking of preseason fifth [place],” head varsity boys volleyball coach Kurt Brian Steuer said. “Some guys are switching up roles and moving positions around … we’re ready to go, and they’re ready to have a full season.”

Senior outside hitter Matthew Molnar has been on the team over the last two seasons and said the key to winning is consistency.

“[Fifth] is a solid ranking for us,” Molnar said. “I mean obviously I think that we could be first but given that other teams are pretty good this year, I think that’s a good ranking for us so far. We can only go up from here.”

The team has won conference for the past 11 years in a row and haven’t lost a home game since 2019. Senior outside hitter Ryan Blazevich said the amount of time that has gone into building the team is what will help them succeed.

“We have the same goal as last year, and the same goal every year: to be number one in the state. We’ve been together since freshman year, and the previous years with the varsity guys helped develop us culturally and skill-wise. We just have to do what we can, play our best and keep that same goal in mind,” Blazevich said.

Junior middle hitter Mason Kolar said that no matter where DGS is ranked, the goal is to win with his team.

“We are particularly strong in our offensive game; we have some really good hitters and some people that really know where to put the ball,” Kolar said.

Blazevich said a lot of the team’s success comes from familiarity amongst the players from other teams outside of school.

“We’ve had a strong program consistently throughout the years with our coaches and players. Our talent has been growing because we’ve all been playing together since freshman year, as well as club for four years,” he said.