Sophomore finds success in athletics

Lessons+that+an+athlete+will+learn+on+the+field+or+court+will+push+them+to+be+a+stronger+athlete+as+well+as+person.+

Savanna Martinez

Lessons that an athlete will learn on the field or court will push them to be a stronger athlete as well as person.

Spending time on the field, court and diamond are all things that sophomore Will Potter does routinely year after year as a varsity athlete.

Sports have been a major part of Potter’s life since he was six years old. Each and every team an athlete is a part of allows them to build new connections, skills and learn life long lessons.

“In general, sports have shaped my life. The main thing is getting to know people. If I didn’t play sports I wouldn’t have had as many of the friends I know and hangout with,” Potter said.

This is Potter’s second season as a Mustang, and first full one due to last year’s COVID-19 restrictions. Potter suited up for the varsity football team as a starting safety and varsity basketball as the starting point guard this year. Outside of school, Potter plays baseball for Sparks North.

While success on the field has come easy for Potter, there is a deeper meaning behind his love for sports. Potter attributes the deeper life lessons he has learned from sports to this success.

“The main lesson that football has taught me is to trust your teammates. This year we struggled at the start, [we] didn’t really have that trust with the team as I was a new sophomore playing with the upperclassmen but as the season went on we began to click and trust each other and finished the season real strong,” Potter said.

Head football coach Mark Molinari agreed with Potter’s perspective.

“We always talk about character and being a good teammate; you have to understand that when you’re in the heat of battle you have to trust each other. If you can’t, then it’s really hard to accomplish some of the goals you set for the team,” Molinari said.

While football is considered a physically demanding sport, basketball and baseball require a different skill set and strategy. These differences, including playing alongside an entire new set of teammates, allowed Potter to gather another perspective on things.

“Find the group of guys that will buy in. Basketball has been a rough season, had a lot to leave us but the guys we have left are a good group and I wouldn’t trade them for anything,” Potter said. “… [also] figure out each other’s strengths and weaknesses and help each other with them.

Potter dribbles the ball down the left side of the court, passed the band showing their full support. (Violeta Dauksaite)

Sports may seem to be focused on wins and losses, but the lessons that athletes learn while on the field translate into advice Potter listens to.

Teammate Fred Kuhlman spoke on how he saw this lesson Potter has learned over the years reflect on the court as well.

“…Having a group of guys that you know will have your back everyday really has helped us, especially this past month as we are starting to get into some rhythm. Off the court, just having loyal teammates and coaches that you can talk about anything with and having that trust is really special,” Kuhlman said.

With all these things considered, Potter feels sports are a critical part of his high school experience and he will always carry the lessons he has learned with him.