Erzig organizes semi-annual blood drive

Kate Riley

DGS staff and students fill out forms as they wait at the blood drive.

On Tuesday, Sept. 10, students had a chance to donate blood during their free periods during DGS’s semi-annual blood drive. This year the blood drive was organized by physical education teacher Jillian Erzig. 

Erzig has been a member of the District 99 community for her entire life and believes that donating blood is one of the many ways she has been able to give back to the community that raised her.  

“I feel that it’s a really big lesson to teach early on that even something as simple as donating blood could be helpful to members of our society and communities. That sense of accomplishment and that sense of giving back is a good lesson and something we can do to help,” Erzig said.

Junior Katie Rabig participated in the blood drive for her first time on Tuesday. Rabig stated that the blood drive has been one way that she was able to get involved early in the semester at DGS.

“I think it’s a great way to get active in school and help other people who are in need,” Rabig said.

This fall, Erzig took over the blood drive from fellow physical education teacher Vincent Garramone. Erzig stated that she was amazed by the amount of work that went into planning the blood drive.

“Mr. Garramone has been so helpful, he is just an overall helpful guy,” Erzig said. 

Erzig has made some slight changes to the blood drive. One new addition was students’ ability to confirm their appointment times via Google form. Next fall she hopes to hold the blood drive later into first semester.