6 tips to help you survive and enjoy your summer

Jacqueline Sumida

Fireworks explode on the Fourth of July at Lake Lobdell in Michigan, taken before the rest of the fireworks blew up at once on an island on the lake. Oops.

Jacqueline Sumida, Online Entertainment Editor

Even though it really doesn’t feel like it, summer vacation is only a few weeks away. Here are some tips to make this summer the best one yet.

Actually, Go Outside

Listen, the sun is out and it’s about 90 degrees, you can afford to go outside. We usually live in Chiberia nine months out of the year, any day above 50 is a complete rarity. Go outside and enjoy the nice weather.

Sunscreen Will Be Your Best Friend

Now that you’ve chosen to put your Xbox controller down and re-enter the world of the living, protecting your skin is a must. Sunburn happens and it absolutely sucks. Nobody wants to be around you when you’re peeling and disgusting, golden brown skin for the win.

Take A Long Trip

Drive into the city, go to the Indiana Dunes, go to your cousin’s cabin on the very Northen tip of Michigan and watch your brother get hit by a golf cart, breaking his arm in the process. Get out of the state and go on an adventure to a new place. Maybe you’ll find something that makes you want to go back in the future.

Embrace Your Summer Style

Summer is the perfect time to break out of your comfort zone and take some serious style risks. Wear those pastel outfits, break out that sunflower dress, finally take off your winter jacket– the possibilities are endless. Whatever you end up wearing, you know you’ll look amazing.

Go To A Festival

It doesn’t have to be a crazy music festival like Lollapalooza or Pitchfork, it can be Taste of Chicago or a renaissance fair. Just get out and be surrounded by people who have the same passions as you, celebrating something you love. It’s a completely eye-opening experience.

Enjoy The Break

We only get one long break from the drama, stress and anxiety of high school once a year. Take your time to enjoy it and recharge before the cycle of doom starts up again in the fall. Summer is meant to be enjoyed so enjoy it.