Chocolate Heaven Cookies: eat with the angels

Andrea Davenport

The finished product is best eaten directly out of the oven.

Andrea Davenport, Print Editor-In-Chief

Who likes chocolate?

Nevermind, don’t answer that. I already know you like chocolate. This is non-negotiable.

As school starts to get into gear and we, as students, become swamped with unnecessary work, I can’t help but think of the good times I’m leaving behind: swimming under the hot sun, eating fresh, juicy fruit — but not watermelon because watermelon is disgusting — and trying all sorts of tasty, new, chocolatey desserts.

I started searching, on pinterest of course, for ways to bring back summer in these desperate times, and low-and-behold, I find a cookie so full of chocolate it made my mouth water just looking at it.

Now, originally, someone decided that these were “hot chocolate cookies,” but this person clearly wasn’t thinking. If you call them “hot chocolate cookies,” people will only want to eat them in the winter.

The cookie is dense with chocolate, made from 12 ounces of chocolate chips. A chunk of chocolate was placed and melted in the middle of the soft cookie, and a toasted, roasted marshmallow was planted on top. Eaten right out of the oven, these cookies taste like a hunk of heaven had fallen to the earth and into my mouth.

These cookies are magical.

For more accuracy, these cookies should be called, “Chocolate Heaven Cookies” because they are too heavenly not to eat. As a matter of fact, that’s what I’m calling them. Chocolate Heaven Cookies.

Read below for ingredients and instructions if you want a taste of what the angels eat.

Andrea Davenport
The middle chocolate should be similar to a lava cake — gooey.

Ingredients courtesy of Averie Cooks

1/2 cup unsalted butter
12-ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces of chocolate — milk or dark — cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 large marshmallows cut into quarters

*if you want more marshmallow, use 12 pieces and cut into halves

Instructions also courtesy of Averie Cooks

1. Melt butter and chocolate chips in a medium, microwave-safe bowl for about one minute. Stop occasionally to stir.

2. In a large, separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat with a whisk. Once cooled, add the chocolate mixture and beat until fully combined.
Add the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt, beating until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one to two hours, or until dough has firmed up.

3. Preheat the oven to 325℉. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Using a tablespoon, scoop the cookie dough and place them on the baking sheet, spaced about two inches apart. Flatten slightly and bake for 10 minutes.

4. Remove baking sheet from oven and place one piece of chocolate in the center of each cookie, pushing down very slightly just so it breaks the surface.

5. Place one marshmallow quarter on the top of each piece of chocolate on all the cookies, pushing down very slightly so the marshmallow adheres.

6. Return the baking sheet to oven and bake for about five minutes. Cookies firm up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving.

7. ENJOY!!!

Have a thought about what I should bake next? Leave a comment about your ideas. Bake sweets, eat treats and come back for more recipes.