A small cost for a needed change

Marc Alvarez

More stories from Marc Alvarez

Issue 3
January 25, 2019
Issue 5
May 18, 2018

Schools are the cornerstone of communities, and without adequate funding they are unable to match the needs of not only the students, but also their surrounding areas.

A plan has been put forth by the District 99 Board of Education to ensure that both DGN and DGS campuses continue to improve and adapt to changes in education.

District residents should vote “yes” to the Master Facility Plan on March 20. The plan addresses a wide range of school needs and is a very modest tax increase for the average family. It also remedies many of the current problems facing building facilities.

A new athletic field is planned to be added to the DGS campus and an expanded lunchroom to the DGN campus will address student concerns about overcrowding and a lack of weather-appropriate athletic fields.

Air conditioning will also be added to DGS. Currently, in the months of August, September and May, students are unable to focus as temperatures reach excruciating highs. This past year a temporary solution was implemented, but with the passing of the Master Facility Plan, there would finally be a permanent solution to a problem that has plagued DGS for decades.

The Master Facility Plan also addresses the need for heightened security at both DGS and DGN. New “air-lock” entrances will be built that will ensure that no one is able to enter the building without the necessary security approvals.

New collaborative spaces that will emphasize existing support services will also increase the opportunities for learning and growth at both DGS and DGN. Centralizing support services and creating an area for collaborative learning will alleviate morning hallway congestion and provide students with better access to tutoring and counseling.

These changes are not immensely expensive either. According to Board of Education President Nancy Kupka, for a $300,000 home there would be just a $65 tax increase. This means that for less than a dollar a day, District 99 facilities can finally receive the appropriate improvements that in many cases are long overdue.