• May 8AP Exams, May 6-17

• May 8Yearbook Distribution, May 15

• May 8Spring Art Show in the West Events Entrance, May 10-12

More than one way to apply foundation?

More than one way to apply foundation?

Did you know that not cleaning your makeup brushes could be a health hazard? Well makeup brushes can have up to 100 bacteria and still be safe to use, but when the bacteria count is more than 40,000, your skin is in trouble.

Makeup has evolved a lot in the past few years, and the techniques have changed as well. Many years ago people used their hands to apply foundation on their faces, but now there are things like brushes, sponges and stamps.

The first tool released for foundation application was the brush. Under this category there are many different kinds of brushes including flat foundation brushes and kabuki foundation brushes. The flat foundation brush is a big paint brush for your face and the kabuki foundation brush is an even bigger and fluffier paint brush.

After the foundation brush was the makeup sponge, originally called the beauty blender. This product was a huge hit because it blended out makeup even smoother than the brush technique. The makeup sponge can be used two ways: wet or dry. Since it is a sponge it will expand in size when you get it wet.

Although the application of the makeup sponge was so smooth, it just wasn’t enough for the makeup industry and the beauty gurus. This called for the release of the famous CosmeFibre, supersoft, makeup brushes. The foundation brush has a large number of tightly packed bristles which allow for flawless application and make these brushes different from normal brushes that have loosely packed bristles .

The last and craziest product is the silicone sponge, which is exactly what it sounds like — a sponge/makeup applicator made out of silicone. It is clear and many beauty gurus have said it looks like an implant that someone could get. Despite the weirdness, many people seem to enjoy this product.

Since there was no clear conclusion about which product was the best, I decided to test them all out. To give all of the products a fair chance, I tested each of them out twice, with the expectation of the makeup sponge because that was the product that I had been using for application before the experiment.

I still love the makeup sponge, and until another cool application product comes out, I will keep using the makeup sponge because it never fails to make my skin look flawless. Although the product that I use daily didn’t change, I did like some qualities about the other products.

The silicone sponge surprised me with it’s application because it was actually better than the flat foundation brush, which was very streaky. This doesn’t mean the silicone sponge isn’t streaky, it just means that there is less streakiness and more coverage.

Out of the three new products I tried, I would definitely use the CosmeFibre foundation brush when I want full-coverage because it blends makeup into looking like it’s your skin. I got a three-pack of the CosmeFibre brushes, and I actually found a new favorite brush for cream contouring.

If I were to recommend one product to try from these four products, I would tell you to get the CosmeFibre brushes, or if you’ve never tried a makeup sponge, get that because it is equally as good as the brushes are.

I didn’t go into this experiment thinking I was going to find a new way to apply my foundation. I knew that I loved the makeup sponge since I have been using it for so long, and I did this experiment with the sole purpose of wanting to try new things and expanding my horizons.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “More than one way to apply foundation?”

1. Kelly Pyburn on April 19th, 2018 8:22 am

I don’t know what I’d do without my makeup sponge. I agree, it’s amazing. I’ve never heard of the CosmeFibre Brush but I will definitely try it out!

2. Alexis Fuller on April 19th, 2018 8:27 am

I never heard of a cosmeFibre brush, but I’m going to give it a try.

3. Beth Bills on April 19th, 2018 8:35 am

I am on team beauty blender as well! Sponge will probably always be my favorite foundation application method, but I have also taken a liking to CosmeFibre brushes for fuller coverage, especially paddle brushes.

4. Taylor Crego on April 19th, 2018 11:26 am

I love how you gave so many different ways to apply the foundation because I’ve never even heard of some of these tools. I’m definitely going to be doing some research and testing out other ways to apply my foundation!

5. Karissa Gordey on April 19th, 2018 11:29 am

I have never heard of a CosmeFibre brush before and I have always just used a sponge but this is making me want to try out something different!

• More than one way to apply foundation?

Entertainment

The real greatest showmen: singing in the rain with BTS

Entertainment

Senior Send-off: Gabby Boone

#TBT

TBT: Laura Rodey

Entertainment

5/16 Horoscopes

Entertainment

Debuts dominate the best albums of 2019 so far

Entertainment

Top 10 tips for planning a perfect summer vacation

Entertainment

DGS Spring Art Show packed with student artwork

Entertainment

What music festival should you attend this summer?

Entertainment

Tacochela has my approval

Entertainment

Plateia’s crepes are a gift from the Greek gods

More than one way to apply foundation?