• September 26Choir Concert Oct. 11 from 7-9 p.m.

• September 26DGS Football VS Leyden Oct. 5 from 7:30-9:30 p.m.

• September 26Underclassmen Photos Oct. 5

DGN music teacher resigns amid sexual misconduct allegations

Barbara Collins

More stories from Barbara Collins

Issue 5
May 18, 2018
May 11, 2018
May 11, 2018
Sarah Major

More stories from Sarah Major

Issue 5
May 18, 2018
Katie Anthony

More stories from Katie Anthony

Issue 5
May 18, 2018
May 11, 2018
May 11, 2018
Sydney Hall

More stories from Sydney Hall

Issue 5
May 18, 2018
May 11, 2018
May 11, 2018

DGN music teacher William Miller officially resigned from District 99 on Dec. 11 after allegations of inappropriate behavior with former students.

In an email to the community, Superintendent Dr. Hank Thiele wrote, “the Board of Education accepted Miller’s voluntary request to resign from District 99. Key conditions of the separation include that Miller forfeit his teaching license and agree not to teach in a K-12 setting again.”

Several women have accused Miller of pursuing sexual online communications with them while they were students at DGN. In a lawsuit filed on Dec. 8 against District 99, another woman alleged that Miller “groomed and otherwise enticed female DGN students, including Plaintiff, JANE DOE, to have sexual relationships while they were minors by providing alcohol and attempting to make emotional connections with the minors,” according to her court filing.

The lawsuit also says in the late 1990’s the district allegedly “possessed information that Miller was ill-suited for employment involving interactions with minors.”

“If we ever receive information about the inappropriate conduct of a staff member, we always take action,” D99 Director of Communications Jill Browning told ABC News.

“We [the district] are aware that a lawsuit has been filed,” Browning said in an email to the Blueprint.

No charges have been filed against Miller by the Downers Grove Police Department as of Dec. 15, according to Communications Director Doug Kozlowski. The investigation remains open.

“We will continue to cooperate fully with the Downers Grove Police Department,” Thiele said in an email sent Dec. 11.

Accusations against Miller began with a Facebook post by former DGN student Jennifer Boudinot claiming Miller sent inappropriate electronic messages via AOL to her during her time at the school, according to the Chicago Tribune. Boudinot graduated from DGN in 1999.

“Unfortunately, the assistant band director, who was also in charge of the auditorium crew technicians, used his position of power to take advantage of me and my classmates,” Boudinot said in the post.

Both Boudinot and Miller were unable to be reached for comment.

Miller’s spot is being temporarily filled by a substitute teacher. The district posted a vacancy for a music educator on Dec. 12 with the position beginning in January.

“All performances and tours will continue as scheduled,” Browning said.

DGN Fine Arts Chair Brayer Teague wrote in a letter to families of the community, “The level of personal pride that we all have in our DGN Band program will carry us through this unexpected staff transition. I am confident that, as we collectively face a new challenge together, our students … will shine.”

Miller is a DGS alum. He taught in District 99 for 23 years.

About the Writers
Barbara Collins, Online Co-Editor-in-Chief

Barbara Collins is a senior at DGS. This year she is one of the online co-editor-in-chief of the Blueprint.

Collins enjoys being a captain of the DGS girls varsity tennis team, and has played on the team for four years. She is involved in Earth Action Club, P.E Leading and National Honors Society.

Collins keeps herself busy with schoolwork; this year she is enrolled in AP Statistics, Calculus BC and AP Environmental Science. When she isn’t at school or playing tennis, you can find Collins studying, watching trashy reality TV shows or hanging out with her friends.

Collins is considering pursuing a major in business and communications. Currently, she hopes to attend University of Michigan or University of Washington.

Sarah Major, Print Co-Editor-in-Chief

Sarah Major is a senior and works as a Print Co-Editor-in-Chief for the Blueprint. During the 2016-17 school year, she was the Print Features Editor for the Blueprint. Major won first place at the IJEA awards and an honorable mention award at NISPA for her spread on the DGS athletic code.

She has played on the DGS softball team since her freshman year and plays travel softball for Bombers Fastpitch Illinois. Major also manages the DGS football team in the summer and fall. Throughout high school, she has been involved in ACE, Mad Dash and National Honors Society.

In her tiny amount of free time, she enjoys blogging, re-watching Grey’s Anatomy, bullet journaling, scrolling through her feed on Pinterest and adventuring with her boyfriend. When she graduates, Major plans to play college softball and major in psychology. 

Katie Anthony, Print News Editor

Katie Anthony is a senior at DGS and the Print News Editor for the Blueprint during the 2017-2018 school year. Within DGS Anthony has been a part of the JV girls golf team, Mustangs Aware and Athletes Committed to Excellence.

Anthony is also a part of the National Honor Society and enjoys volunteering at Feed My Starving Children and participating in mission trips every summer through Group Mission Trips.

Outside of DGS, Anthony is a member of the Hinsdale Hospital Junior Board, in which she volunteers in and around Hinsdale Hospital. Anthony works as a secretary for a realty office on weekends and a nanny during the week. Currently, Anthony is planning to study Journalism and Public Relations at Loyola University Chicago following high school.

Sydney Hall, Online News Editor

Sydney Hall is a senior at DGS. She is an Online News Editor for the 2017-2018 Blueprint newspaper. Hall is involved in various clubs at DGS such as Superfans and ACE and hopes to join more throughout her senior year at DGS. After high school, she plans to continue her education at college by majoring in journalism/communications.

Hall has been playing softball for about 11 years now and has been involved in the DGS softball program since her freshmen year. In the fall and summer, she enjoys playing travel softball for the Wheatland Spikes. She hopes to one day continue her softball career at the collegiate level.

Outside of school, Hall likes to spend time with friends and family. Her favorite artists are Chance the Rapper and Logic because of their unique sound, positive messages, and their ability to use music as a platform to talk about important topics in today’s society.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “DGN music teacher resigns amid sexual misconduct allegations”

1. Nathan Schulz on February 22nd, 2018 7:54 pm

My thoughts are with the victims – I hope they get the justice. Selfishly, as a DGN Orchestra alumn, I hope that DGN and the DGN music program are able to right the ship, and regain the confidence of the community and the students. The world still needs music.

2. Kaitlyn Wiseman on April 19th, 2018 8:31 am

I agree with Nathan Schulz, my thoughts are with the victims. This hit the District 99 Fine Arts Program really hard and since I am a part of that program, it was scary to think about. I know a lot of the music students, band students in particular were shocked when this happened and everyone knew him. It was a scary thing to come up so close to home.

• DGN music teacher resigns amid sexual misconduct allegations

DGS

DGS marching band to not attend the crosstown football game

BREAKING NEWS

May 18, 2018

BREAKING NEWS

Blueprint wins IHSA Journalism State Championship

DGS

Weekly preview: April 23-27

BREAKING NEWS

Administration holds open-discussion forum

BREAKING NEWS

Administration apologizes after ‘missing the mark’ with forum

DGS

Referendum for D99 renovations passes

BREAKING NEWS

DGS student charged with Class 4 felony

BREAKING NEWS

Students come face-to-face with board after forum disappoints

BREAKING NEWS

School safety forum leaves students with unanswered questions