• April 22Blood Drive on Wednesday, April 24

• April 22Energy Slam on Thursday, April 25

• April 22Cap and Gown Delivery on Tuesday, April 23

Dress code stripped down

Katie Anthony

More stories from Katie Anthony

Issue 5
May 18, 2018
May 11, 2018
May 11, 2018

Dress code stripped down

This school year, DGS students were introduced to new changes to the dress code. These changes were explained during the deans meeting that took place for all students on the first day of school.  

Principal Ed Schwartz described the new dress code as mainly a change in wording.

“We thought, why don’t we just simplify it [the dress code]? It’s about being dressed appropriately, it’s not about a certain clothing item, because the clothing item depends on the person and your body type,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz, along with many students at DGS believe that the dress code needed to be revisited to reflect what the school was enforcing.

“I would say for you guys [students],  you won’t notice a difference. It’s really about how it’s written,” Schwartz said.

Senior Bridget Barnebey believes that the wording has caused little change for how the code is being enforced.

“I haven’t really seen a change, I feel like people always wore stuff that was against dress code and no one cared,” Barnebey said.

The dress code has always been a part of the school’s code of conduct, but it has not undergone any changes in its language in recent years.

Associate Principal Karen Taylor played a role in the conversation surrounding the changes that took place over the summer.

“All of our policies should be revisited frequently. And as far as I can tell it had been quite some time since the dress code was written,” Taylor said.

Administrators believe that students can learn an important lesson from the dress code.

“We are trying to teach kids that clothes you wear in one setting may not be appropriate in another setting,” Taylor said.

“What’s appropriate at Lollapalooza isn’t necessarily appropriate here and vice versa. It’s about making sure kids are exposed to what is appropriate,” Schwartz said.

Sophomore Abbie Swain recognizes both sides of the dress code.

“I think the dress code should be more lenient sometimes because it goes a little overboard and it can be hard to find clothes to wear, but I like the idea of dress code so people can’t wear crazy stuff,” Swain said.

If a student fails to follow the dress code, they may see further action being taken.

“The first communication with kids is ‘what do you have with you that can make you dress code compliant?’ If there is a repeated pattern and this student continues to break dress code, at that point we would insitute more measures,” Taylor said.

“Our goal is to have kids comply with dress code. Our goal is not to hammer students with consequences, not to keep kids out of class,” Taylor said.

The dress code also has students questioning who it applies to the most.

Freshman Michael Spano weighs in on his thoughts regarding the code.

“I think it mostly affects girls because they like to wear those sleeveless tops, and that can have a big effect,” Spano said.

“I don’t know what the dress code is for guys” Spano said.

“I think it frustrates girls, especially when it’s hot outside because it draws attention to what girl’s are wearing unfairly,” Barnebey said.

“If students are unsure if they are following dress code, they can stop in the dean’s office,” Schwartz said.