DGS global connections classes support refugee families

Jayna Bardahl, Print News Editor

Throughout the weeks of Apr. 24 and May 1, DGS global connections classes will sell $10 T-Shirts to support the organization Humanwire.

Humanwire is a not-for-profit organization based out of Boulder, Colorado that donates necessities to refugee families from the Middle East in need. Differing from other charitable organizations, Humanwire allows people like the DGS community to interact with the refugee families they’re donating to one on one and actually control what supplies they put their money towards, whether it’s a tent, toothbrush or a sewing machine.

This one on one interaction allows donors to engage in skype conversations with their refugee families and also receive photos of the refugee families reaction to receiving the donated items.

Social studies teacher Derek Hoovel emphasized how the personal interaction with these refugee families is an aspect that is not only unique to the Humanwire organization but also creates a connection between the families and the student donators.

“You really are helping them rebuild something they can take care of themselves with. That’s what these families want,” Hoovel said.

To take advantage of the oppurtunity to engage in a relationship with families halfway across the world, global connections teachers have worked with their students to choose a refugee family to represent. After participating in this project with his own family, Hoovel added some insight into how the classes went through the process of choosing a refugee family.

“That was like the saddest part. All these families who basically just have nothing and we can’t help everybody,” Hoovel said. He explained that they had to think “what family do we feel is most in need right now.”

Hoovel admit that this strategy was very subjective, but he highlighted how he hopes this project at DGS will help get the word out about Humanwire and inspire students to engage in the project whether it is buying a T-shirt or going forward to support their own refugee family.

“This is to teach the students that even as teenagers there are things that we can do. Spread the word, let people know that there are organizations out there that are helping people,” Hoovel said.

With just a week of T-shirt sales complete, it is evident that DGS students are eager to support this cause. Junior Angelica Cudzich explained what inspired her to donate.

“We watched a video in psychology about a family that was in need so it motivated me to help,” Cudzich said.

If you are interested in participating in this project T-shirts are still available for purchase during all lunch periods. To start your own refugee funds you can visit Humanwire.org which will link you to all of the different families in need whose lives you can make a difference in.