Stephenson showcases her cheerleading skills

Teah+Stephenson+poses+with+the+second+place+trophy+after+the+Joliet+West+Competition.+
Ava Jarman
Teah Stephenson poses with the second place trophy after the Joliet West Competition.

Stepping onto the mat underneath the blinding lights, senior cheerleader Teah Stephenson gets ready to give it her all at the cheer team’s competition.

Stephenson is a four-year varsity cheerleader and was previously a gymnast for 12 years before switching to cheerleading. With her background in gymnastics, Stephenson proves to be a key member of the team, as varsity cheer coach Shannon Lahey explained.

“Well of course she has wonderful skills; her tumbling is probably at the highest we have on the team. As far as the rubric range goes they call it a ‘level four tumbling,’ so she is really skilled in that area; she is a really skilled back spot. What makes her the most of an asset is her leadership qualities and the way she takes charge of the team; she leads by example, and to me as a coach that means way more than the skills you bring,” Lahey said.

Stephenson is constantly working on improving her skills, seeing as cheer is something she holds a great passion for. Outside of DGS cheer, she participates in a quarter season team called ICE and does clinics to improve her skills. The work she has put in over the years has formed her into the leader she is today and has reiterated her goal to cheer in college.

“I really like being a varsity athlete and getting to work with my teammates as well as getting to improve my skills especially before college. I really love cheerleading and I like that I am able to be a leader for the team and improve not only my skills but myself as a person,” Stephenson said.

As of right now, Stephenson plans to try out for multiple college cheerleading teams, with her top schools being University of Kansas and University of Louisville. Stephenson has a drive to keep cheerleading and wants to be her best.

“I am grateful for every second I get to step out on the mat and demonstrate my skills to my parents and all the people that have supported me throughout the years. I am very grateful for the opportunity Coach Lahey has given me the past four years and I am really looking forward to continuing my cheerleading career in college,” Stephenson said.

Unfortunately the Varsity cheerleading team did not make it to State this season, but Stephenson still hopes to keep cheerleading in her future.