School traffic resembles battlefield

Matthew Chimino
After all, we’ve faced pop quizzes, COVID-19 and a change in principles– conquering high school traffic should be a piece of cake. Let’s turn this traffic nightmare into a senior success story.

As the final bell rings, signaling the end of another day of academic endurance, high school seniors like myself are thrown into another daily battle against an unexpected foe: school traffic. What should be a straightforward journey home transforms into a grueling assignment that tests our patience as cars, buses and pedestrians congest the road ahead – a test that makes us wish teleportation was a reality.

On Nov. 9, I found myself at the mercy of this chaotic dancing of brake lights. With track practice awaiting, I optimistically navigated the crowded hallways and rushed to my car. However, my optimism quickly turned to frustration as the minutes ticked away while I was inching along at a snail’s pace, which allowed the once-promised practice to slip through my fingers.

Sure, we could blame it on the sheer number of students or the fact that there is only one road, but let’s cut to the chase–we need a change. It’s time to put our collective brain power to good use and demand solutions that make our lives easier.

How about a designated pick-up spot for those who get picked up? It could be moved to the east exit of the school. This is connected to a different road, which would allow traffic to flow better.

Not everyone drives to school, and we should be thinking about the planet too. How about more bike racks? Let’s make it cool to bike to school, and maybe we’ll see some positive change in our carbon footprint.

In the spirit of problem-solving, maybe our school could invest in some tech wizardry. Smart traffic signals, an app that tells us when to avoid the chaos–let’s use technology to outsmart the traffic gods.

While dealing with school traffic might feel like a hassle, there’s a perspective out there that says it’s actually shaping us seniors for the better. Some people argue that the daily struggle builds up our patience and adaptability, skills we’re going to need in the real world. Getting through the traffic chaos together also creates a kind of bonding experience among us seniors; a shared challenge we face as a team.

Traffic is such a hassle for everyone, but saying it builds character for us seniors is over the top. We’re already juggling college apps, homework, sports, clubs and a social life. Seriously, it’s a lot. Around 34% of us start the college search endeavor in senior year, and with all those essays and important deadlines, improving the traffic at DGS would really help us out.

In the end, the struggle is real, but so is our power to change things. After all, we’ve faced pop quizzes, COVID-19 and a change in principles–conquering high school traffic should be a piece of cake. Let’s turn this traffic nightmare into a senior success story.

View Comments (1)