Principal-Parent Partnership informs and includes parents

Prinicpal-Parent Partnership is advertised to all DGS parents to attend and learn about aspects of the school.

The Principal-Parent Partnership gatherings, also known as P3, are presented at DGS for all parents/legal guardians of currently enrolled students. These meetings are to help parents get a better understanding of what is going on in the school currently and how to improve it in the future. This program is similar to a PTA or PTO group, but includes a principal.

Principal Arwen Lyp, who has been at DGS for two years now, introduced this program last year in mid-November of 2022 and takes it into this year as well.

“It’s the idea of bringing parents into the school, me sharing with them important things about school that families want to know. Then working with them and sometimes help problem-solve, get ideas from parents on different programs we’re doing and how to move forward. I also take time to have parents ask questions,” Lyp said.

Along with these in-person meetings, Lyp has also added the feature of having the meetings on a Zoom call so that parents can interact and still ask questions even if they can’t be there.

“We have a communications team in District 99. There’s a Director of Communications whose name is Jill Browning and a Communications Specialist whose name is Lauren Miholic. So they work with me and they run the Zoom part in the meeting because it is very hard to run the meeting and the Zoom at the same time,” Lyp said.

Junior Katelyn McGinley’s mother has attended some of the past meetings.

“She thinks that it is beneficial for parents to have an input on their kids’ school decisions,” McGinley said.

One of the parents of a student that goes to DGS, Tina Patten, has been on PTA when her kids attended Fairmount elementary school and continues the tradition at DGS with P3.

“Having the opportunity to ask any questions, big or small, and discuss whatever is on your mind, the good and the bad, with Principal Lyp is truly a gift. The informal Principal- Parent Partnership setting is conducive for impressively open and honest conversations. I’m always in awe of how Principal Lyp really listens to the parents,” Patten said.

Additionally, Lyp brings in a special guest who are also experts in the area.WIth these guests it is easier to explain to parents what and how things are done at the school.

“The first one I did, we talked to the parents about our new reassessment plan and how students can reassess. We talk to them about why we’re doing that, what the process is, and they may ask for a better understanding so that is where my help comes in with my guest,” Lyp said.

Patten expresses one of her most-liked meeting with one of Lyp’s special guests.
“My favorite meeting is the course selection meeting. This year Gina Ziccardi, Associate Superintendent for Student Learning, was the quest presenter. We were provided insight into the fabulous new classes that will be offered next year, and our feedback was welcome,” Patten said.

Each meeting is centered around a different topic that is relevant. The last meeting was on Nov. 8 regarding course selection. The next meeting on Feb. 7 is a Teacher Appreciation week where parents will be making “Thank you” notes for faculty, while connecting with others.