FAFSA changes deadline date

Sabrina Crowley
The college and career center has provided seniors with information on the FASFA.

As college applications are fast approaching, many students and families likely have questions about the process. The Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an application to receive money to aid with paying college tuition. As of the 2020-2021 school year, completing the FAFSA is a graduation requirement by Illinois state law.

In order to successfully complete the FAFSA, families will need the following: student and guardian tax returns, a Federal Student Aid (FSA) identification, asset records for the student and guardian, the social security number of the student and parent, a valid driver’s license or valid government identification and the federal school codes for the schools the student is applying to.

On average, the form takes only a half hour to complete. College and career counselor Adrienne Nolan explained more about the form.

“The FAFSA application process is a form that is hosted by the government that assesses the needs of your family… So it assesses family income and then once they evaluate the form, they tell you ‘this is how much we expect you should [need] to be able to pay for college,’” Nolan said.

Paying for college can be intimidating for some students. Senior Naomi Yong expressed her concerns about college expenses.

“I know that it helps people, but I’m worried that it’s not going to help me. Which I know is a selfish way to look at it . . . it says it helps, but obviously college is really expensive, and the process to pay for college is really intimidating, and it could put me in debt for years after,” Yong said.

Luckily, there is no harm that can come from filling out the form. In fact, most students will get some sort of benefit.

“Regardless of family income, everyone is going to get some sort of help financially from the FAFSA. So if your family income is super high, you may just qualify for [student] loans that have the best interest rates compared to private loans… The worst that’s going to happen is that you get offered loans that you could take out if you need to,” Nolan said.

The FAFSA is planned to open on Dec. 1, 2023. District 99 had informational nights where parents could hear from financial aid experts. DGS also has a representative from the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC), Angelo Brown, who will come every Friday in December and once a month from January to April.

Because conquering college costs can quickly become overwhelming, DGS offers many resources to help with any confusion that may arise, as financial aid is a very helpful tool for incoming college students. Senior Scott Conley shared his attitude on financial aid.

“I don’t think I’m going to get much of anything from the FAFSA because both my parents work and have master’s degrees… [but] I think it’s good stuff that helps people get to college,” Conley said.

Although applying for financial aid can be a long process; overall, there is no harm that can come from it. Reach out to Adrienne Nolan or Lavon Robinson in the college and career center or Angelo Brown from ISAC with any questions.