New check-in system leaves students upset

Students scan their ID’s with the check-in system during 7th period to show that the commons is where they are supposed to be.
Madison Meier

DGS has implemented a rule for students to check-in during their periods when they’re in the commons, which has made some students frustrated. This new check-in system has students stand in line for teachers to scan their ID, which determines if they are supposed to be in the commons that period. If they’re not supposed to be in the commons that period, their ID declines and they have to report to a security guard.

Compared to last school year, the rate of students skipping class has decreased immensely.

Security guard Josh Bean thinks this check-in system has been working effectively.

“Definitely helpful and definitely working. Any day in the mornings or any other time that you’re down here, you will see a lot less kids down here than compared to last year,” Bean said.

However, the new check-in system has made some students upset due to the 15 minute line to simply scan their ID’s. Senior Tyler Balcom believes the check-in system is a waste of time.

“I think instead of waiting in line for 15 to 20 minutes, I could be doing homework instead. It’s really just a timewaster and at the end of the day, it’s just really the students’ responsibility,” Balcom said.

Senior Nick Gadamoski prefers the new check in system because the security guards have cut down on students skipping.

“I like the way they are checking where students are supposed to be this year because it allows the commons to be more quiet. Like last year, there were groups of people that were obnoxiously loud, so it’s nice to do my homework in peace and quiet,” Gadamoski said.

Last school year, the security guards went around the commons during random days and picked random students to scan their ID’s.

“We used to go around doing it with the tablets, which took forever and this is a much faster way to do it, and it’s done daily,” Bean said.

The security guards have seen an impact in the check-in system due to seeing only five to 10 students skip per day; however, the wait time has caused an increase in some students’ frustration.