Breaking News
  • February 26World Language Week Mar.11-15
  • February 26Choir show @ 7-9 pm Mar.8
  • February 26District 99 college and career exploration event 6:30-8:35 pm Mar.5
  • February 26Graduation Announcement Delivery w/Jostens 10:56 am-1:36 pm Mar.5
  • February 26Speech Tournament @ DGS Mar.2
  • February 26County Wide Institute Day-No school Mar.1
  • February 20Snowball Feb. 29
  • February 20Winter Dance Feb. 24
  • February 20Spirit Assembly Feb. 23
  • February 20Class color day Feb. 23

Powder puff kicks off homecoming week

Taylor Beattie
The senior team wins the powder puff game against the juniors.

On Wednesday, Oct. 18 at 6:30 p.m., DGS held their annual Powder puff football game. Powder puff has four all-girl teams from each grade level go head to head, testing the athleticism of their age group.

The event itself is held during homecoming week at DGS. Students participate in Powder puff, among other festivities, commemorating the homecoming dance that is held the following Saturday.

Senior Izzy Cecconi decided to be on her grade’s team this year after never previously playing. Many seniors decide to join as it’s their last opportunity to play in high school.

“I haven’t done Powder puff yet before, but I really wanted to participate this year because it’s my senior year,” Cecconi said.

The game allows students to show their school spirit and be competitive in a sport they don’t typically play.

“I feel a lot better being a senior because it’s exciting and a great way to end off my time at DGS,” Cecconi said.

Edward Kozak is the coach for the senior team, and this is his second year being a part of the event. Kozak has experience being a state referee for high school football and enjoys putting his skills to the test at the game.

“I love organizing people, so this is perfect for me; trying to lead a group of young people to victory,” Kozak said.

Kozak feels that doing Powder puff is a valuable experience for students. He recalls a moment in the game this year when he felt enticed by the energy of the student body at DGS.

“Without a doubt, the last minute of the junior/senior game this year, when I knew we had achieved our senior team goal, and that we were going to be victorious. I was very, very happy for all of us on the team,” Kozak said.