Options Fair hosted in-person for students and families

Sofia Monreal

The options fair flier grabs DGS students attention through the screen.

The Options Fair returns to DGS on Oct.17. This event is an opportunity for students with disabilities to learn about options they have after graduation.

The Options Fair is free and open to families and students in DuPage County. This event is for families who are looking for opportunities that to support their child. Staff members from local community colleges to big universities will be available to answer questions and provide information.

IEP Facilitator Kathy Vanderplow shared how families struggle with furthering their kids’ education after high school.

“Parents don’t realize there are opportunities for their children once they leave high school. When you struggle with a disability, sometimes seeing a future can be a challenge,” Vanderplow said.

Vanderplow also explains how she connects families and students to expand their views outside of high school. The Options Fair helps families explore possible paths.

“I really enjoy just having the opportunity to work with parents and see the big picture beyond high school, which is what the Options Fair is about. And to help them navigate what the world could look like for their child,” Vanderplow said.

Senior Marty Blader works with students with special accommodations and explains how the Options Fair can help students set a plan for themselves.

“I think this is a really good opportunity to get some ideas of colleges and have more plans after high school, and I think it’s really cool that this is now offered for students with special needs,” Blader said.