Season two of ‘All American’: Even better than the last

Teagan Smith

More stories from Teagan Smith

Teagan Smith

“All American” is currently trending on Netflix’s top 10 list.

The CW show “All American” has received much attention as Netflix has recently released its second season.

“All American” tells the story of high school athlete Spencer James as he balances living in two worlds, one with his family in their struggling hometown of Crenshaw, and the other his rich prep school in Beverly Hills. The show focuses on the pressure of competitive football and the drama of high school. The majority of the characters are teenagers, but the show also follows the lives of their parents and other important community members.

I was already invested in this show by the end of the pilot episode and had been impatiently awaiting the release of season two.

The second season begins with Spencer trying to decide what is best for his family – because of the recent return of his father – and what is best for his future, hopefully as a professional football player. Beverly Hills High School’s head football coach Baker and his family are forced to deal with the repercussions of his infidelity and its effects on his marriage.

Spencer’s girlfriend and Beverly Hills student, Leila, struggles with mental illness as she pushes everyone who loves her away. Football player Asher faces a new wave of bad choices as he tries to straighten his life out once again. South Crenshaw High School student Coop faces the consequences of her actions in the first season, while simultaneously building her musical career.

The show takes on a new level as they spread awareness on racism, mental illness, drug addiction and many more important issues in season two. Other topics such as gun violence and sexual orientation, that were seen in season one, are also prevalent in the second season.

I was completely impressed by the plot of this season. It kept me hanging on the edge of my seat and unable to stop myself from binging all the episodes at once.

You’re able to watch your favorite characters have more depth and are able to understand their actions. The importance of family – and friends that are family – is expressed throughout the entire season as the characters support and love each other throughout their hardships.

Season two made me cry for the losses the characters felt, and made me happy for the victories they achieved. Now all that’s left to do is wait for season three.