About the 2019 superhero homecoming assembly

Vincent Llanes

Jennifer Martinez believes that purchasing a homecoming ticket and wearing the superhero homecoming theme shirt is an excellent way to show south side pride at the assembly.

The upcoming DGS homecoming assembly will be hosted in the large gym and is offering a vast assortment of various activities for students to experience. Along with its superhero theme and catalog of performers, the 2019 DGS homecoming assembly will be a massive event at DGS. 

Sophomore Joseph Puccillo expressed his own anticipation for the DGS homecoming assembly.

“I’m really excited for the superhero theme because I personally love superheroes,” Puccillo said.  

Also, Puccillo looks forward to seeing all sorts of activities such as dancing, music and food.

Senior Caleb Radcliff is also excited about the assembly.

“We’re going to be able to express who we are and show our school spirit. So it’s going to be a lot of fun,” Radcliff said.

Radcliff noted that he was especially excited about the superhero theme.

“I personally love this theme this year because I am a superhero fan. I’ve always loved them,” Radcliff said.

According to DGS Activities Director Jennifer Martinez, there will be an abundance of activities during the assembly capitalizing on this theme.

“We have our homecoming court, we’re going to have some superheroes competing for a special surprise,” Martinez said.

“We’ll have our Fillies and cheer. We’ll have the introduction of our fall sports,” Martinez said.

The DGS homecoming assembly will bring praise to the various accomplishments of all of the fall sports at DGS. Martinez notes that every fall sport is worthy of recognition. 

“We at least give a little shout out so that everyone is recognized for their participation, [in sports],” Martinez said.

In addition, the assembly will feature a plethora of new activities that were not present in previous assemblies.

“There’ll be a cool superhero competition that will get the students pretty excited … we’ll also have a surprise staff act,” Martinez stated.

The surprise factor in the assembly goes even further. The assembly will also feature students from the talent show prior to the assembly. 

The homecoming assembly will also bring attention to the various individuals selected for the homecoming court. The roster features one boy and one girl representatives for freshmen, sophomores and juniors along with four boys and four girls to represent for the senior class. Two of the senior nominees will be voted homecoming king and queen during the assembly.

The assembly, as with all of the previous homecoming assemblies, will also include music from the students in the DGS band.  

The DGS homecoming assembly aims to be as ambitious as possible this year. With the vast array of activities, sports and music, the homecoming assembly is expected to leave a lasting impression on the students of DGS on Sept. 20.

“It’s about keeping engaged and interconnected to our community and being there together … celebrating moments together as mustangs,” Martinez said.