DGS creates a new dance club called Orchesis

Ciarra O'Reilly

DGS teacher Stephanie Henrikson teaches members of the Orchesis dance club.

DGS has approved the creation of a new dance club called Orchesis on Oct. 2. The school already has several different dance teams, such as Caribbean Soul, Steppers, the Fillies and Pintos dance team, but this club is unique in which anyone can join with all different styles of dance.  

Orchesis, meaning the art of dance, can be an opportunity for individuals that want to dance and learn more about all different styles, along with being able to make it their own and choreograph dances.

Working in the P.E., Drivers Ed and Health Department, Stephanie Henrikson is sponsoring and organizing the Orchesis club. Henrikson also teaches many different classes including the junior and senior dance techniques elective. She has always had the idea of wanting an Orchesis dance club at DGS.

I approached it a couple years ago when I first came to South, and I was hired here as a part-time teacher and suggested the idea of wanting to start an Orchesis club because I knew we didn’t have one,” Henrikson said. The school denied the idea, they were worried that the school already had similar activities and Henrikson hasn’t really talked about it since.

At the beginning of the year, Henrickson was approached by two freshmen students, Blessy and Renatta Jacob wanted Henrikson to sponsor it.

l really want to do this too, but we have to pull some dancers together, and you guys need to recruit. You need to spread the word and we need to find the dancers that are in the school that are not already involved in something else, even if they do they want to come together to bring more dance out and share the talents that they have, and the love that they have for dance in all styles all levels of dancers,” Henrikson said.  

Jacob is excited that Orchesis is becoming a club. With her cultural and unique dance experience, which is Bollywood and Bharatanatyam, Orchesis is a great opportunity for her to perform and teach. She also believes that this club will unite many different people that share the same passion of dance as she does.

“Orchesis is a sisterhood, it’s where we bond,” Jacob said.

Having Orchesis at DGS would allow students that are not interested in the types of styles that the school provides, to have an outlet to perform what they want. Senior Jennifer Szutowicz is a student that would benefit from Orchesis.

“Not being in any current clubs for dance, this club gives me the opportunity to continue to dance at school,” Szutowicz said.

“You can kind of tell when you talk to a dancer that eyes just light up when they talk about it; it’s hard to talk about it and not get emotional because it’s always been very special part of my life,” Henrikson said.

Henrikson wants everyone to experience this feeling, and Orchesis would provide it. Today, Orchesis currently has 42 students signed up. The first meeting is going to be held on Tuesday, Oct. 9 in the dance studio at 3:30 p.m.