• September 26Choir Concert Oct. 11 from 7-9 p.m.

• September 26DGS Football VS Leyden Oct. 5 from 7:30-9:30 p.m.

• September 26Underclassmen Photos Oct. 5

How Logic created a legacy through the Young Sinatra era

Whatever you want to call him, Logic, Bobby Tarantino or Young Sinatra, he has forever changed the way consumers can receive content and the unique capacity rap music can be extended into. With his ability to create different storylines and personalities, Logic has opened up doors of possibilities for people who want to do more than just rap.

Logic is a legend of multiple perspectives, and the final chapter of this era shows he creates music for the love of the process, not the green.

With the last installment of his Young Sinatra alter ego, “YSIV,” Logic has distinctly showed he still possess’ the dirty rap style he had when he started recording in his best friend’s basement in Maryland. As an artist, he has always been in love with creating stories that his own people can relate to.

He attributes multiple people for his ideas of opening up into different alter egos and credits them for making him believe he can be more than one person with more possibilities.

In the track titled “YSIV,” Logic attributes late artist Mac Miller for the idea of taking on multiple people for different moods on multiple projects.

In the rap industry, it can be easy to believe that all people gravitate to is rapping about drugs, girls and partying. What Miller brought to the table, and what Logic later added onto, was the idea that you didn’t have to be one emotionless rapper, but you could instead be any figure you please.

The idea of an artist taking over their sound and their art in a way that is innovative and out-of-the-box from the rest is a skill some can not take on because of the uncertainty in the process. 

In his beginning stages of his career, Logic created his first studio album “Under Pressure”  in a basement accompanied by his producer 6ix who, to this day, mixes most of his tracks. This album is seen as the beginning of an artist who was destined to create a language of his own.

Logic believes he can rap about anything from social issues to his mom being a cocaine addict and still maintain his credit as a rapper who deserves to be taken seriously.

A lot of people may view this “switching” as a negative but I think it is a new way for fans to view artists. Rappers tend to be some of the most smart and emotional people to create music but the stereotype of what a rapper should be can ruin the way they believe they can express themselves. Rappers who can accept their emotions and talk about their anxiety, love and partying are the most respectful in my eyes.

Young Sinatra is a alter ego that means a lot to Logic and his fans. It is was one of first series of projects Logic ever released is for his small fan base of the time. The alter ego is based around late singer Frank Sinatra and Logic’s fanbase name “Rattpack” drew inspiration from the original “RatPack Group” of Frank Sinatra.

Logic is continuously influenced by pop culture and has an obsession with old singers, movies, tv shows and more. He is genuinely engulfed in his own world. His art resembles the weird, unusual sides of him that fans would usually never associate with a rapper.

For example, his second studio album “The Incredible True Story” is based around outer space and space travel, which he calls ‘nerdy’ and claims that rappers don’t take the educational route as concepts for their albums. Not only did he have a unique idea, but he implemented a story out of it by creating characters and having the whole album weave through through the songs.

Logic is unique because he has a love for creating things that are not just music. He continues to talk about directing movies, writing books and expanding the limitations of his mind. That sets him apart from the people who only stick to what they know, since he truly aims to dig deep into his own mind and continue to push his own boundaries.

Logic is my inspiration because he makes me believe I can truly do it all. He has the message that you can do whatever you put your mind to and more. If you want to do something, do it and don’t be afraid of failure. 

Ever since I listened to “Under Pressure,” I have been infatuated with the way Logic represents himself and his willingness to fully be vulnerable. He shows sides of himself that could be shunned by some but help others in the long run.

“Young Sinatra,” and many other projects that he has done, are not just albums with a few tracks. They are albums that have meaning, purposes and life behind them. These projects paint a new picture of what could be and the messages he sends through them are ones he believes in and hopes to pass on to people who need them.

Logic is a gem to the music industry.

He dabbles in every genre including rap, r&b, pop, soul and more while being unapologetic about it in every way. And by doing this, he continues to label himself as a rapper who came along to change how we view the genre and pass on legacies of someone before him like the Wu tang Clan and more.

Logic’s trademark line is “peace, love and positivity” and that is precisely the spirit he gives out. With his music he aims to make people smile and truly feel something when they press the play button. And as an exceptional role model and public figure, Logic fits the mold of a legend in the music industry today.

About the Writer
Rhaya Truman, Managing Editor

Rhaya Truman is a senior at DGS and is the Managing Editor for the Blueprint. She has participated in basketball and dance in her DGS years and is currently a member of the Speech team. She is involved in many organizations, for example, Kpop club,  Peer Tutors, Speech, Mustang Way Leaders and the Communications Officer for the Student Council Executive Board.

Her favorite things to do are go to concerts, shopping and traveling. She has not narrowed down her main college but is greatly interested in San Diego State University, University of Arizona and Arizona State Univesity. She wants to major in Media, Journalism or Communications related concepts.

Truman received an honorable mention for her first print in depth piece at NISPA and multiple awards for her reviews. She was also a state qualifier in review writing and placed 3rd at her sectional. She was a member of the 2018 Blueprint state winning team.

Truman has an obsession with 90’s culture and lives “the retro way” in order to fill her void of not being born in the best era of all time. Some of her favorite recent artists are Tyler, The Creator, Logic and J. Cole, which all contain the vintage vibes her old soul craves. 

She wants to be fluent in at least three languages in her life and travel to multiple countries. She lives her life in aesthetics and has a secret love for interior design. She believes if she does not win the senior elective for best dressed, her high school career was not worth it. Her favorite show is the Get Down, she has a pretty cool record collection, loves meeting new people and treats life like a never ending good book.

1 Comment

One Response to “How Logic created a legacy through the Young Sinatra era”

1. Euzetta Durflinger on October 4th, 2018 1:46 pm

Awesome 👏🏽 article. Great job young lady!

• How Logic created a legacy through the Young Sinatra era

Entertainment

“Trench” Levitates Above Expectations

Entertainment

Top 10 excuses students use to not attend school

Entertainment

Happy Homicidal Egomaniac Day … sorry, I meant happy Columbus Day

Entertainment

Midnight Terror brings sizable disappointment

#TBT

TBT: Elaine Marinakos

Entertainment

Top 10 fall scents to spice up October

#TBT

Throwback Thursday 09/27

Entertainment

BROCKHAMPTON radiates creativity in new album ‘iridescence’

Opinions

Dueling perspectives: Nike’s decision to hire Kaepernick for their recent campaign

Entertainment

Horoscopes to get you through the week