• December 17Late Start at 9:20 a.m.

• December 14Winter Play in the Auditorium 7:00-9:00 p.m.

• December 10D99 Bands with Special Guests from Tokyo 7:00 p.m. Dec. 18

Girls tennis makes a toast to their success at Champaign

Vianney Mendoza

More stories from Vianney Mendoza

Fundamentals of fighting
November 16, 2018
Issue 2
November 16, 2018

Varsity girl's tennis road to Champagne,  photo courtesy of Coach Josh and Coach Kud

Varsity girl's tennis road to Champagne, photo courtesy of Coach Josh and Coach Kud

This past weekend the DGS girls varsity tennis team competed in a tournament in Champaign, IL. As a team, they placed second out of eight teams. Senior Kaylee Chang and freshman Jillian Urguello placed first in doubles against DGS’s biggest rival, Naperville Central.

Chang elaborated on Central’s energy during the match.

“They were the strongest team there, being the ones that we played against in the championships, but they also had a very focused and intense energy that fed into me wanting to win even more,” Chang said.

Head coach Josh Forst believes that the overnight tournament was able to form a sense of family and brought the team closer together over the weekend.

“All those things really do a lot to bring the team together and add that extra level of accountability and that feel of this is a family it’s more than just a team,” Forst said.

Junior Mimi Despotovic was unable to play due to the fact that she was very sick the week prior. According to Despotovic, Chang and Urguello adapted well to one another.

“It was really cool to watch my doubles partner and a singles player play together and be able to adjust accordingly to each other’s strengths and come out on top in 1st place,” Despotovic said.

Despotovic is confident that this experience brought the team closer together.

“To be a part of some serious competition encourages the team to give 100% of their effort right from the start and to bring out their game faces,” Despotovic said.