An open letter to the freshman class

A classic example of a freshman backpack.

Ariel Oh

A classic example of a “freshman backpack”.

Dear Freshmen Class,

Administration and staff have all told you time and time again the rules you will be following for the next four years at DGS. Let’s be real though, it’s not like you care enough to read and listen to a handbook full of rules; you need the real, unwritten truth.  

As freshmen, the majority of my friends and I always worried about finals and keeping an A in every class. Trust me when I say that it is not that big of a deal. As long as you try your best and put in the effort it takes, there’s really nothing to worry about.

It’s better to work hard to get the best grades in your class throughout the semester so once finals come, you have a crutch. If you get grades you weren’t planning on getting during finals, you have your overall grade to lean on.

Don’t hold yourself back from doing things that you want to do. Take that class. Go to that club meeting. Try out for that team. Putting yourself out there opens different doors for you to find something new you enjoy.

You might even create relationships with people that will turn out to be your friends for life. I never thought I’d be on Blueprint writing this letter, but here I am taking journalism with upperclassmen. You are so much more capable than you think. It’s cliche, but the only person you really need to satisfy is yourself.

If you need help, ask for it. I know that it’s awkward asking for help from a teacher or going in to see your counselor, but try and get to know them now. Take advantage of the opportunities they give to meet up with you.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions; it will make you more comfortable in the long run if you were to end up in a “teenage crisis.”

Lastly, please stop walking on the left side of the hallway and running to your classes with every book you own in your backpack. Your locker exists for a reason, use it. Also, the C-D intersection isn’t the only spot with a staircase. You’ll be on time — I promise. The school is just a square.

Sincerely,

An ex-freshman