Thinking outside the box: seniors’ final art show

Jhenevie Oca

More stories from Jhenevie Oca

The opening night for this year’s spring art show will occur on Tuesday, May 15 from 6-8 p.m. Not only will the show feature artwork done by students in every art class, but the infamous Black Box will be open for viewing.

The Black Box is a small separate gallery that is located near the west events entrance. In this little room, every senior who has taken multiple AP art classes has the opportunity to curate their own section of the room using their artwork and other kinds of decorations.

Their section is supposed to represent their journey as an artist, showcasing some of their best works. For many students, this has been a long-awaited event.

Senior Chrissy Markovski describes what the preparation process has looked like.

“The process is so complicated and stressful to say the most. There are deadlines after deadlines and so much to do and remember but, for some reason, the process is fun because once you get something done and it’s all good to go, you feel accomplished,” Markovski said.

With that being said, many students are bubbling with excitement. Among them is senior Hailey Rodden.

“I think I am most excited to see everyone’s art and their exhibits all hanging up because I know how hard we all work, and to see it all come together and for everyone to see the final product of something you poured your heart and soul into is really exciting to me,” Rodden said.

Many teachers are also excited to see the show as they’ve seen past shows and continue to enjoy how each approach a student takes is different. Bryan Szweda, who has been teaching social studies here at DGS for over a decade, explains how excited he gets to see the show.

“I like seeing varied pieces. Art is intrinsically motivated usually, so to see the kind of things people like and create is interesting. I’m a big fan of pretty art,” Szweda said.

Unlike Rodden and Markovski, who are both pursuing a career in photography, for many students, this will be their last art show ever.

Senior Jackie Lestina, whose concentration focuses on the military because of her decision to enlist, explains what the Black Box means to her.

“It’s a last hurrah, a celebration of the way talent is curated at South. This is the chance to display your story and your skills to your peers, and for seniors, it’s a wonderful way to make sure you get that chance before you walk the halls for the last time,” Lestina said.

The spring art show located in the west events entrance will be open during all school hours from May 18-21.