Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

Bad Blood: Super Bowl Preview

Carson Kass
EIC Owen Chaidez ponders about this year’s Super Bowl.

Super Bowl LVlll takes place on Feb. 11 and as is tradition, it is packed full of narratives and legacies on the line. In a rematch of Super Bowl LIV, the Kansas City Chiefs go head-to-head with the San Francisco 49ers.

The AFC representative Kansas City Chiefs have been to four of the last five Super Bowls and are hoping to repeat as Super Bowl champs, but this year has proven to be a potential dynasty establishing year. Kansas City’s defense has been the star of the show, with them and the whole team catching fire at the perfect time, allowing only four points conceded on average in the second half of their last eight games.

Hailing from the bay area, the San Francisco 49ers are representing the NFC this year. Coached by Kyle Shannahan, the Niners stout a strong defense, with an offense led by the 2022 “Mr. Irrelevant,” Brock Purdy. “Mr. Irrelevant” is a term coined as the last pick in the NFL entry draft.

From third string QB to MVP consideration, the 49er’s QB Purdy has come from the bottom and now possesses an opportunity to get to the top in Las Vegas this upcoming weekend. Other storylines from San Francisco include tight end George Kittle, who promised his team they would return in the 2020 Super Bowl loss versus the Chiefs.

Despite struggling early on, the Kansas City offense got going in the playoffs, headlined by the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Isiah Pacheco. This combo has become the 1-2 punch KC has needed in these playoffs, dominating offensive time of possession, with methodical drives that starved out Baltimore to make it into the final dance, supplemented by only ten points total allowed by the defense that day.

However, one of the biggest story lines coming from Kansas City is 14 time Grammy winning pop star Taylor Swift dating star tight end Travis Kelce. The popularity between the two has exploded over social media, ever since debuting their relationship status in a blowout 41-10 win against the Chicago Bears in week three this year. Many believe the NFL’s massive viewership surge from ages 12-17 comes from the couple becoming a worldwide sensation with Swifties flocking to support Kelce.

The last time these teams faced off in the Super Bowl, in 2020, was a wild dogfight, featuring Patrick Mahomes pulling the Chiefs from down 20-10 early in the fourth quarter to a 31-20 victory over the Niners, led by QB Jimmy Garoppolo at the time.

Legacies are on the line this Sunday as Mahomes looks to lead Kansas City to back-to-back Super Bowl wins, while Purdy hopes to get the Niners their first chip since 1994, which would be the sixth in franchise history. It would tie them with the New England Patriots for most all time.

View Comments (1)