Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

Girls volleyball program scores big with productive funding

The+girls+volleyball+team+celebrates+at+one+of+their+home+games+from+this+past+season.+
Jillian Myers
The girls volleyball team celebrates at one of their home games from this past season.

Most sports are provided with all materials aside from the shoes they need, and to participate most sports require players to pay a few hundred dollars for all the equipment.

However, on top of the 200 dollars players are required to fundraise they also have to buy equipment.

Juliana Padavic, a varsity volleyball player, talks about funding for her team.

Padavic says that her team is funded well and can raise money through donations on an online website.

“Each person in the program is expected to send out at least 15 donation requests and raise at least $200, but the more money the better,” Padavic said.

Other teams like the football team utilize this strategy too.

Last year the volleyball team raised a whopping $14,000. Padavic says they are very organized when it comes to funding.

Padavic explained how she is not forced to buy any volleyball merchandise but like most sports, they have a web-store. Money raised goes towards warm-up clothes, practice shirts and jerseys. The players don’t get to keep these but they are repurchased by the program every few years.

Everyone on any level of the team is expected to purchase their own volleyball shoes, knee pads, socks and shorts.

The average volleyball shoes are around $125 and knee pads are around $20. In addition, players must purchase socks and shoes which can be around another $250.

Teams like Filles pay close to $150 for their competition costumes; however, unlike the volleyball team they get to keep their uniforms.

Freshman Jaycee Fortune is on the volleyball team and explains how she sees fundraising.

Fortune explains that varsity teams get the nicest nets and freshman and JV get the other nets. So they fundraise to keep their equipment nice and make sure they have good practices equipment-wise.

Playing any sport costs money between equipment and paying to play at all. But with productive funding sports teams are able to cut these costs making them accessible to everyone.